1. Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS). Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic.Geneva:UNAIDS. 2018; 1–6. http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/fact-sheet. Accessed August 25, 2019.
2. UNAIDS. Regional fact sheet, Sub-SaharanAfrica. 2014; 1–7 www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/…/factsheet/2014/20140716_FactSheet_en.pdf. Accessed August 25, 2019.
3. National guidelines for comprehensive HIV prevention, care and treatment. 2017; 1–236. https://aidsfree.usaid.gov/sites/default/files/resources/ethiopia_art_guidelines_2017.pdf. Accessed August 25, 2019.
4. Gebo KA, Fleishman JA, Moore RD. Hospitalizations for Metabolic Conditions, Opportunistic Infections, and Injection Drug Use among HIV Patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005;40(5):609–16. doi: 10.1097/01.qai.0000171727.55553.78 16284539
5. Farahani M, Farahani A, Marlink R. Prevalence and distribution of non-AIDS causes of death among HIV-infected individuals receiving antiretroviral therapy : a systematic review and meta-analysis. Int J STD AIDS. 2016;1–15.
6. Paul S, Gilbert HM, Ziecheck W, Jacobs J, Sepkowitz KA. The impact of potent antiretroviral therapy on the characteristics of hospitalized patients with HIV infection. Aids. 1999;13(3):415–8. doi: 10.1097/00002030-199902250-00015 10199233
7. Gutierrez F, Padilla S, Masiá M, Iribarren JA, Moreno S, Viciana P, et al. Clinical outcome of HIV-infected patients with sustained virologic response to antiretroviral therapy: Long- term follow-up of a multicenter cohort. PLoS One. 2006;1(1):1–7.
8. Mocroft A, Barry S, Sabin CA, Lepri AC, Kinloch S, Drinkwater A, et al. The changing pattern of admissions to a London hospital of patients with HIV: 1988–1997. Royal Free Centre for HIV Medicine. AIDS. 1999;13(10):1255–61. 10416531
9. Psevdos JHKG Gonzalez JE. All-cause mortality in hospitalized HIV-infected patients at an acute tertiary care hospital with a comprehensive outpatient HIV care program in New York City in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART). Infection.2013; 41:545–51 doi: 10.1007/s15010-012-0386-7 23264096
10. Berry SA, Fleishman JA, Moore RD G K. Trends in reasons for hospitalization in a multisite United States cohort of persons living with HIV, 2001–2008. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012;59:368–75. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0b013e318246b862 22240460
11. Falster K, Wand H, Donovan B, Anderson J, Nolan D, Watson K, et al. Hospitalizations in a cohort of HIV patients in Australia, 1999–2007. AIDS. 2010;24(9):1329–1339. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e328339e245 20559038
12. Brinkhof MWG, Boulle A, Weigel R, Messou E, Mathers C, Orrell C et al. Mortality of HIV-infected patients starting antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa: Comparison with HIV-unrelated mortality. PLoS Med. 2009;6(4):1–11.
13. Kwizera A, Nabukenya M, Peter A, Semogerere L, Ayebale E, Katabira C, et al. Clinical Characteristics and Short-Term Outcomes of HIV Patients Admitted to an African Intensive Care Unit. Crit Care Res Pract. 2016;2016:1–7.
14. Lewden Charlotte, Drabo Youssoufou J, Zannou Djimon, Maiga Moussa Y, Minta Daouda K, Sow Papa S et al. Disease patterns and causes of death of hospitalized HIV-positive adults in West Africa : a multicountry survey in the antiretroviral treatment era. J Int AIDS Soc. 2014;17(18797):1–12.
15. Balkema CA, Irusen EM, Taljaard JJ, Zeier MD, Koegelenberg CF. prospective study on the outcome of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients requiring mechanical ventilation in a high-burden setting. An Int J Med. 2018;109(1):35–40.
16. Tamiru M, Haidar J. Hospital Bed Occupancy and HIV / AIDS in three Major Public Hospitals of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Int J Biomed Sci Vol. 2010;6(3):195–201.
17. Kondo M, Woldegiorgis A, Tilahun H, Harris C. Characterization of inpatient admission within a large HIV treatment program in Ethiopia. Ann Glob Heal. 2015;81(1):128–9.
18. Kwizera A, Nabukenya M, Peter A, Semogerere L, Ayebale E, Katabira C, et al. Clinical Characteristics and Short-Term Outcomes of HIV Patients Admitted to an African Intensive Care Unit. Crit Care Res Pract. 2016; 2016:1–7
19. Bachhuber M a Southern WN. Hospitalization rates of people living with HIV in the United States, 2009. Public Health Rep. 2014;129:178–86. doi: 10.1177/003335491412900212 24587553
20. Centers for disease control and prevention. 2018; 1–2. https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/library/factsheets/hiv-viral-hepatitis.pdf. Accessed August 25, 2019.
21. Ifbejoh P, Npsubmjuz S, Bevmu B, Qbujfout N, Ufsujbsz JOB. HIV.AIDS related mortality among adult medical patients in a tertiary health institution in south-south,Nigeria. Asian Pac J Trop Med. 2010;141–4.
22. Saavedra A, Campinha-Bacote N, Hajjar M, Kenu E, Gillani FS, Obo-Akwa A et al. Causes of death and factors associated with early mortality of HIV-infected adults admitted to Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital. Pan Afr Med J. 2017;27(48):1–7.
23. Hernando V, Sobrino-Vegas P, Burriel MC, Berenguer J, Navarro G, Santos I, et al. Differences in the causes of death of HIV-positive patients in a cohort study by data sources and coding algorithms. AIDS. 2012;26:1829–1834. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e328352ada4 22410685
24. Coelho LE, Ribeiro SR, Veloso VG, Grinsztejn B, Luz PM. Brief communication Hospitalization rates, length of stay and in-hospital mortality in a cohort of HIV infected patients from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Brazilian J Infect Dis. 2016;21(2):190–5.
25. Kowalska JD, Reekie J, Mocroft A, Reiss P, Ledergerber B, Gatell J et al. Long-term exposure to combination antiretroviral therapy and risk of death from specific causes: no evidence for any previously unidentified increased risk due to antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 2012;26(3):315–323. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e32834e8805 22112597
26. Weber R, Ruppik M, Rickenbach M, Spoerri A, Furrer H, Battegay M et al. Decreasing mortality and changing patterns of causes of death in the Swiss HIV Cohort Study. HIV Med. 2013;(14):195–207.
27. Marin B, Thiébaut R, Bucher HC, Rondeau V, Costagliola D, Dorrucci M et al. Non-AIDS-defining deaths and immunodeficiency in the era of combination antiretroviral therapy. AIDS. 2009;23(13):1743–1753. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e32832e9b78 19571723
28. Psevdos JHKG, Gonzalez JE. All-cause mortality in hospitalized HIV-infected patients at an acute tertiary care hospital with a comprehensive outpatient HIV care program in New York City in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART). Infection. 2013;41:545–51. doi: 10.1007/s15010-012-0386-7 23264096
29. Lindan CP, Allen S, Serufilira A, Lifson AR, Van De Perre P, Chen-rundle A, et al. Predictors of Mortality among HIV-infected Women in Kigali, Rwanda. Ann Intern Med. 2017;116(4):320–8.
30. Sharma A, Hoover DR, Shi Q, Gustafson D, Plankey W, Hershow RC, et al. Relationship between Body Mass Index and Mortality in HIV-Infected HAART Users in the Women Interagency HIV Study. PLoS One. 2015;10(12):1–16.
31. Chandra RK. Nutritional deficiency and susceptibility to infection. Bull World Health Organ.1979; 57:167–177. 108017
32. Shah S, Whalen C, Kotler DP, Mayanja H, Namale A, Melikian G, et al. Severity of human immunodeficiency virus infection is associated with decreased phase angle, fat mass and body cell mass in adults with pulmonary tuberculosis infection in Uganda. Journal of Nutrition.2001; 131(11):2843–2847. doi: 10.1093/jn/131.11.2843 11694606
33. Vargas-Infante YA, Guerrero ML, Ruiz-Palacios GM, Soto-Ramírez LE, Del Río C, Carranza J, et al. Improving Outcome of Human Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Patients in a Mexican Intensive Care Unit. Arch Med Res. 2007;38(8):827–33. doi: 10.1016/j.arcmed.2007.05.007 17923262
34. Duarte L, Luna S, Soares DDS, Bezerra G, Cavalcante MG. Clinical characteristics, outcomes and risk factors for death among critically ill patients with hiv-related acute kidney injury. Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2016;58(52):1–6.