1. YasunagaJ, MatsuokaM (2007) Human T-cell leukemia virus type I induces adult T-cell leukemia: from clinical aspects to molecular mechanisms. Cancer Control 14: 133–140.
2. TieF, AdyaN, GreeneWC, GiamCZ (1996) Interaction of the human T-lymphotropic virus type 1 Tax dimer with CREB and the viral 21-base-pair repeat. J Virol 70: 8368–8374.
3. BellonM, BaydounHH, YaoY, NicotC (2010) HTLV-I Tax-dependent and -independent events associated with immortalization of human primary T lymphocytes. Blood 115: 2441–2448.
4. HasegawaH, SawaH, LewisMJ, OrbaY, SheehyN, et al. (2006) Thymus-derived leukemia-lymphoma in mice transgenic for the Tax gene of human T-lymphotropic virus type I. Nat Med. 12: 466–472.
5. MatsuokaM, JeangKT (2007) Human T-cell leukaemia virus type 1 (HTLV-1) infectivity and cellular transformation. Nat Rev Cancer 7: 270–280.
6. RobekMD, RatnerL (1999) Immortalization of CD4(+) and CD8(+) T lymphocytes by human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 Tax mutants expressed in a functional molecular clone. J Virol 73: 4856–4865.
7. HaydenMS, GhoshS (2008) Shared principles in NF-kappaB signaling. Cell 132: 344–362.
8. KarinM, Ben-NeriahY (2000) Phosphorylation meets ubiquitination: the control of NF-[kappa]B activity. Annu Rev Immunol 18: 621–663.
9. ZandiE, RothwarfDM, DelhaseM, HayakawaM, KarinM (1997) The IkappaB kinase complex (IKK) contains two kinase subunits, IKKalpha and IKKbeta, necessary for IkappaB phosphorylation and NF-kappaB activation. Cell 91: 243–252.
10. SunSC (2012) The noncanonical NF-kappaB pathway. Immunol Rev 246: 125–140.
11. HarhajEW, SunSC (1999) IKKgamma serves as a docking subunit of the IkappaB kinase (IKK) and mediates interaction of IKK with the human T-cell leukemia virus Tax protein. J Biol Chem 274: 22911–22914.
12. XiaoG, CvijicME, FongA, HarhajEW, UhlikMT, et al. (2001) Retroviral oncoprotein Tax induces processing of NF-kappaB2/p100 in T cells: evidence for the involvement of IKKalpha. EMBO J 20: 6805–6815.
13. MoriN, FujiiM, IkedaS, YamadaY, TomonagaM, et al. (1999) Constitutive activation of NF-kappaB in primary adult T-cell leukemia cells. Blood 93: 2360–2368.
14. TakedaS, MaedaM, MorikawaS, TaniguchiY, YasunagaJ, et al. (2004) Genetic and epigenetic inactivation of tax gene in adult T-cell leukemia cells. Int J Cancer 109: 559–567.
15. HershkoA, CiechanoverA (1998) The ubiquitin system. Annu Rev Biochem 67: 425–479.
16. PickartCM (2001) Mechanisms underlying ubiquitination. Annu Rev Biochem 70: 503–533.
17. ChenZJ, SunLJ (2009) Nonproteolytic functions of ubiquitin in cell signaling. Mol Cell 33: 275–286.
18. EaCK, DengL, XiaZP, PinedaG, ChenZJ (2006) Activation of IKK by TNFalpha requires site-specific ubiquitination of RIP1 and polyubiquitin binding by NEMO. Mol Cell 22: 245–257.
19. HoellerD, DikicI (2009) Targeting the ubiquitin system in cancer therapy. Nature 458: 438–444.
20. ShembadeN, HarhajNS, YamamotoM, AkiraS, HarhajEW (2007) The human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 Tax oncoprotein requires the ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme Ubc13 for NF-kappaB activation. J Virol 81: 13735–13742.
21. HarhajNS, SunSC, HarhajEW (2007) Activation of NF-kappaB by the human T cell leukemia virus type I Tax oncoprotein is associated with ubiquitin-dependent relocalization of IkappaB kinase. J Biol Chem 282: 4185–4192.
22. SmithMR, GreeneWC (1990) Identification of HTLV-I tax trans-activator mutants exhibiting novel transcriptional phenotypes. Genes Dev 4: 1875–1885.
23. PerciavalleRM, OpfermanJT (2013) Delving deeper: MCL-1's contributions to normal and cancer biology. Trends Cell Biol 23: 22–29.
24. KozopasKM, YangT, BuchanHL, ZhouP, CraigRW (1993) MCL1, a gene expressed in programmed myeloid cell differentiation, has sequence similarity to BCL2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 90: 3516–3520.
25. DominaAM, VranaJA, GregoryMA, HannSR, CraigRW (2004) MCL1 is phosphorylated in the PEST region and stabilized upon ERK activation in viable cells, and at additional sites with cytotoxic okadaic acid or taxol. Oncogene 23: 5301–5315.
26. ZhongQ, GaoW, DuF, WangX (2005) Mule/ARF-BP1, a BH3-only E3 ubiquitin ligase, catalyzes the polyubiquitination of Mcl-1 and regulates apoptosis. Cell 121: 1085–1095.
27. DingQ, HeX, HsuJM, XiaW, ChenCT, et al. (2007) Degradation of Mcl-1 by beta-TrCP mediates glycogen synthase kinase 3-induced tumor suppression and chemosensitization. Mol Cell Biol 27: 4006–4017.
28. InuzukaH, ShaikS, OnoyamaI, GaoD, TsengA, et al. (2011) SCF(FBW7) regulates cellular apoptosis by targeting MCL1 for ubiquitylation and destruction. Nature 471: 104–109.
29. WertzIE, KusamS, LamC, OkamotoT, SandovalW, et al. (2011) Sensitivity to antitubulin chemotherapeutics is regulated by MCL1 and FBW7. Nature 471: 110–114.
30. YasunagaJ, LinFC, LuX, JeangKT (2011) Ubiquitin-specific peptidase 20 targets TRAF6 and human T cell leukemia virus type 1 tax to negatively regulate NF-kappaB signaling. J Virol 85: 6212–6219.
31. YeH, ArronJR, LamotheB, CirilliM, KobayashiT, et al. (2002) Distinct molecular mechanism for initiating TRAF6 signalling. Nature 418: 443–447.
32. TsubataC, HiguchiM, TakahashiM, OieM, TanakaY, et al. (2005) PDZ domain-binding motif of human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 Tax oncoprotein is essential for the interleukin 2 independent growth induction of a T-cell line. Retrovirology 2: 46.
33. MurataH, SakaguchiM, KataokaK, HuhNH (2013) SARM1 and TRAF6 bind to and stabilize PINK1 on depolarized mitochondria. Mol Biol Cell 24: 2772–2784.
34. WestAP, BrodskyIE, RahnerC, WooDK, Erdjument-BromageH, et al. (2011) TLR signalling augments macrophage bactericidal activity through mitochondrial ROS. Nature 472: 476–480.
35. YangWL, WangJ, ChanCH, LeeSW, CamposAD, et al. (2009) The E3 ligase TRAF6 regulates Akt ubiquitination and activation. Science 325: 1134–1138.
36. WaldeleK, SilbermannK, SchneiderG, RuckesT, CullenBR, et al. (2006) Requirement of the human T-cell leukemia virus (HTLV-1) tax-stimulated HIAP-1 gene for the survival of transformed lymphocytes. Blood 107: 4491–4499.
37. MacaireH, RiquetA, MoncollinV, Biemont-TrescolMC, Duc DodonM, et al. (2012) Tax protein-induced expression of antiapoptotic Bfl-1 protein contributes to survival of human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 (HTLV-1)-infected T-cells. J Biol Chem 287: 21357–21370.
38. BazarbachiA, SuarezF, FieldsP, HermineO (2011) How I treat adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma. Blood 118: 1736–1745.
39. CouxO, TanakaK, GoldbergAL (1996) Structure and functions of the 20S and 26S proteasomes. Annu Rev Biochem 65: 801–847.
40. StewartDP, KossB, BathinaM, PerciavalleRM, BisanzK, et al. (2010) Ubiquitin-independent degradation of antiapoptotic MCL-1. Mol Cell Biol 30: 3099–3110.
41. HarhajEW, GoodL, XiaoG, SunSC (1999) Gene expression profiles in HTLV-I-immortalized T cells: deregulated expression of genes involved in apoptosis regulation. Oncogene 18: 1341–1349.
42. Sinha-DattaU, TaylorJM, BrownM, NicotC (2008) Celecoxib disrupts the canonical apoptotic network in HTLV-I cells through activation of Bax and inhibition of PKB/Akt. Apoptosis 13: 33–40.
43. SwaimsAY, KhaniF, ZhangY, RobertsAI, DevadasS, et al. (2010) Immune activation induces immortalization of HTLV-1 LTR-Tax transgenic CD4+ T cells. Blood 116: 2994–3003.
44. SchwickartM, HuangX, LillJR, LiuJ, FerrandoR, et al. (2010) Deubiquitinase USP9X stabilizes MCL1 and promotes tumour cell survival. Nature 463: 103–107.
45. JournoC, BonnetA, Favre-BonvinA, TurpinJ, VineraJ, et al. (2013) Human T cell leukemia virus type 2 tax-mediated NF-kappaB activation involves a mechanism independent of Tax conjugation to ubiquitin and SUMO. J Virol 87: 1123–1136.
46. FeuerG, GreenPL (2005) Comparative biology of human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1 (HTLV-1) and HTLV-2. Oncogene 24: 5996–6004.
47. ShibataY, TanakaY, GohdaJ, InoueJ (2011) Activation of the IkappaB kinase complex by HTLV-1 Tax requires cytosolic factors involved in Tax-induced polyubiquitination. J Biochem 150: 679–686.
48. Lavorga A, Matsuoka M, Harhaj EW (2014) A critical role for IL-17RB signaling in HTLV-1 Tax-induced NF-kB activation and T-cell transformation. PLoS Pathog In Press.
49. KinjoT, Ham-TerhuneJ, PeloponeseJMJr, JeangKT (2010) Induction of reactive oxygen species by human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 tax correlates with DNA damage and expression of cellular senescence marker. J Virol 84: 5431–5437.
50. LeeEF, CzabotarPE, van DelftMF, MichalakEM, BoyleMJ, et al. (2008) A novel BH3 ligand that selectively targets Mcl-1 reveals that apoptosis can proceed without Mcl-1 degradation. J Cell Biol 180: 341–355.
51. CzabotarPE, LeeEF, van DelftMF, DayCL, SmithBJ, et al. (2007) Structural insights into the degradation of Mcl-1 induced by BH3 domains. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104: 6217–6222.
52. MeiY, DuW, YangY, WuM (2005) Puma(*)Mcl-1 interaction is not sufficient to prevent rapid degradation of Mcl-1. Oncogene 24: 7224–7237.
53. StarczynowskiDT, LockwoodWW, DelehouzeeS, ChariR, WegrzynJ, et al. (2011) TRAF6 is an amplified oncogene bridging the RAS and NF-kappaB pathways in human lung cancer. J Clin Invest 121: 4095–4105.
54. MengQ, ZhengM, LiuH, SongC, ZhangW, et al. (2012) TRAF6 regulates proliferation, apoptosis, and invasion of osteosarcoma cell. Mol Cell Biochem 371: 177–186.
55. SunH, LiXB, MengY, FanL, LiM, et al. (2013) TRAF6 upregulates expression of HIF-1alpha and promotes tumor angiogenesis. Cancer Res 73: 4950–4959.
56. HanahanD, WeinbergRA (2011) Hallmarks of cancer: the next generation. Cell 144: 646–674.
57. ParvatiyarK, BarberGN, HarhajEW (2010) TAX1BP1 and A20 inhibit antiviral signaling by targeting TBK1-IKKi kinases. J Biol Chem 285: 14999–15009.
58. ShembadeN, ParvatiyarK, HarhajNS, HarhajEW (2009) The ubiquitin-editing enzyme A20 requires RNF11 to downregulate NF-kappaB signalling. EMBO J 28: 513–522.
59. ShembadeN, HarhajNS, LieblDJ, HarhajEW (2007) Essential role for TAX1BP1 in the termination of TNF-alpha-, IL-1- and LPS-mediated NF-kappaB and JNK signaling. EMBO J 26: 3910–3922.
60. WongBR, JosienR, LeeSY, VologodskaiaM, SteinmanRM, et al. (1998) The TRAF family of signal transducers mediates NF-kappaB activation by the TRANCE receptor. J Biol Chem 273: 28355–28359.
61. AlefantisT, BarmakK, HarhajEW, GrantC, WigdahlB (2003) Characterization of a nuclear export signal within the human T cell leukemia virus type I transactivator protein Tax. J Biol Chem 278: 21814–21822.
62. NingS, CamposAD, DarnayBG, BentzGL, PaganoJS (2008) TRAF6 and the three C-terminal lysine sites on IRF7 are required for its ubiquitination-mediated activation by the tumor necrosis factor receptor family member latent membrane protein 1. Mol Cell Biol 28: 6536–6546.
63. FongA, SunSC (2002) Genetic evidence for the essential role of beta-transducin repeat-containing protein in the inducible processing of NF-kappa B2/p100. J Biol Chem 277: 22111–22114.
64. ChoiYB, SandfordG, NicholasJ (2012) Human herpesvirus 8 interferon regulatory factor-mediated BH3-only protein inhibition via Bid BH3-B mimicry. PLoS Pathog 8: e1002748.
65. KwonH, OgleL, BenitezB, BohuslavJ, MontanoM, et al. (2005) Lethal cutaneous disease in transgenic mice conditionally expressing type I human T cell leukemia virus Tax. J Biol Chem 280: 35713–35722.
66. HarhajEW, GoodL, XiaoG, UhlikM, CvijicME, et al. (2000) Somatic mutagenesis studies of NF-kappa B signaling in human T cells: evidence for an essential role of IKK gamma in NF-kappa B activation by T-cell costimulatory signals and HTLV-I Tax protein. Oncogene 19: 1448–1456.
67. BelleA, TanayA, BitinckaL, ShamirR, O'SheaEK (2006) Quantification of protein half-lives in the budding yeast proteome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103: 13004–13009.
68. RiegerAM, NelsonKL, KonowalchukJD, BarredaDR (2011) Modified annexin V/propidium iodide apoptosis assay for accurate assessment of cell death. J Vis Exp 2011: 2597.