1. GalloRC (2011) Research and discovery of the first human cancer virus, HTLV-1. Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 24: 559–565.
2. YasunagaJ, MatsuokaM (2011) Molecular mechanisms of HTLV-1 infection and pathogenesis. Int J Hematol 94: 435–442.
3. IzumoS, UmeharaF, OsameM (2000) HTLV-I-associated myelopathy. Neuropathology 20 Suppl: S65–68.
4. IwanagaM, WatanabeT, YamaguchiK (2012) Adult T-cell leukemia: a review of epidemiological evidence. Front Microbiol 3: 322.
5. MatsuokaM, JeangKT (2007) Human T-cell leukaemia virus type 1 (HTLV-1) infectivity and cellular transformation. Nat Rev Cancer 7: 270–280.
6. SunSC, YamaokaS (2005) Activation of NF-kappaB by HTLV-I and implications for cell transformation. Oncogene 24: 5952–5964.
7. HaydenMS, GhoshS (2008) Shared principles in NF-kappaB signaling. Cell 132: 344–362.
8. SunSC, GanchiPA, BallardDW, GreeneWC (1993) NF-kappa B controls expression of inhibitor I kappa B alpha: evidence for an inducible autoregulatory pathway. Science 259: 1912–1915.
9. KarinM, Ben-NeriahY (2000) Phosphorylation meets ubiquitination: the control of NF-[kappa]B activity. Annu Rev Immunol 18: 621–663.
10. DiDonatoJA, HayakawaM, RothwarfDM, ZandiE, KarinM (1997) A cytokine-responsive IkappaB kinase that activates the transcription factor NF-kappaB. Nature 388: 548–554.
11. HarhajEW, SunSC (1999) IKKgamma serves as a docking subunit of the IkappaB kinase (IKK) and mediates interaction of IKK with the human T-cell leukemia virus Tax protein. J Biol Chem 274: 22911–22914.
12. HarhajEW, GoodL, XiaoG, UhlikM, CvijicME, et al. (2000) Somatic mutagenesis studies of NF-kappa B signaling in human T cells: evidence for an essential role of IKK gamma in NF-kappa B activation by T-cell costimulatory signals and HTLV-I Tax protein. Oncogene 19: 1448–1456.
13. ChuZL, ShinYA, YangJM, DiDonatoJA, BallardDW (1999) IKKgamma mediates the interaction of cellular IkappaB kinases with the tax transforming protein of human T cell leukemia virus type 1. J Biol Chem 274: 15297–15300.
14. XiaoG, CvijicME, FongA, HarhajEW, UhlikMT, et al. (2001) Retroviral oncoprotein Tax induces processing of NF-kappaB2/p100 in T cells: evidence for the involvement of IKKalpha. EMBO J 20: 6805–6815.
15. WuX, SunSC (2007) Retroviral oncoprotein Tax deregulates NF-kappaB by activating Tak1 and mediating the physical association of Tak1-IKK. EMBO Rep 8: 510–515.
16. GeleziunasR, FerrellS, LinX, MuY, CunninghamETJr, et al. (1998) Human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 Tax induction of NF-kappaB involves activation of the IkappaB kinase alpha (IKKalpha) and IKKbeta cellular kinases. Mol Cell Biol 18: 5157–5165.
17. RobekMD, RatnerL (1999) Immortalization of CD4(+) and CD8(+) T lymphocytes by human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 Tax mutants expressed in a functional molecular clone. J Virol 73: 4856–4865.
18. MoriN, FujiiM, IkedaS, YamadaY, TomonagaM, et al. (1999) Constitutive activation of NF-kappaB in primary adult T-cell leukemia cells. Blood 93: 2360–2368.
19. TakedaS, MaedaM, MorikawaS, TaniguchiY, YasunagaJ, et al. (2004) Genetic and epigenetic inactivation of tax gene in adult T-cell leukemia cells. Int J Cancer 109: 559–567.
20. GuC, WuL, LiX (2013) IL-17 family: cytokines, receptors and signaling. Cytokine 64: 477–485.
21. GaffenSL (2009) Structure and signalling in the IL-17 receptor family. Nat Rev Immunol 9: 556–567.
22. PanG, FrenchD, MaoW, MaruokaM, RisserP, et al. (2001) Forced expression of murine IL-17E induces growth retardation, jaundice, a Th2-biased response, and multiorgan inflammation in mice. J Immunol 167: 6559–6567.
23. PetersenBC, LukacsNW (2012) IL-17A and IL-25: therapeutic targets for allergic and exacerbated asthmatic disease. Future Med Chem 4: 833–836.
24. AngkasekwinaiP, ParkH, WangYH, WangYH, ChangSH, et al. (2007) Interleukin 25 promotes the initiation of proallergic type 2 responses. J Exp Med 204: 1509–1517.
25. IkedaK, NakajimaH, SuzukiK, KagamiS, HiroseK, et al. (2003) Mast cells produce interleukin-25 upon Fc epsilon RI-mediated activation. Blood 101: 3594–3596.
26. RickelEA, SiegelLA, YoonBR, RottmanJB, KuglerDG, et al. (2008) Identification of functional roles for both IL-17RB and IL-17RA in mediating IL-25-induced activities. J Immunol 181: 4299–4310.
27. LeeJ, HoWH, MaruokaM, CorpuzRT, BaldwinDT, et al. (2001) IL-17E, a novel proinflammatory ligand for the IL-17 receptor homolog IL-17Rh1. J Biol Chem 276: 1660–1664.
28. ClaudioE, SonderSU, SaretS, CarvalhoG, RamalingamTR, et al. (2009) The adaptor protein CIKS/Act1 is essential for IL-25-mediated allergic airway inflammation. J Immunol 182: 1617–1630.
29. SwaidaniS, BulekK, KangZ, LiuC, LuY, et al. (2009) The critical role of epithelial-derived Act1 in IL-17- and IL-25-mediated pulmonary inflammation. J Immunol 182: 1631–1640.
30. MaezawaY, NakajimaH, SuzukiK, TamachiT, IkedaK, et al. (2006) Involvement of TNF receptor-associated factor 6 in IL-25 receptor signaling. J Immunol 176: 1013–1018.
31. AngkasekwinaiP, ChangSH, ThapaM, WataraiH, DongC (2010) Regulation of IL-9 expression by IL-25 signaling. Nat Immunol 11: 250–256.
32. ChangSH, DongC (2011) Signaling of interleukin-17 family cytokines in immunity and inflammation. Cell Signal 23: 1069–1075.
33. TianE, SawyerJR, LargaespadaDA, JenkinsNA, CopelandNG, et al. (2000) Evi27 encodes a novel membrane protein with homology to the IL17 receptor. Oncogene 19: 2098–2109.
34. HuangCK, YangCY, JengYM, ChenCL, WuHH, et al. (2014) Autocrine/paracrine mechanism of interleukin-17B receptor promotes breast tumorigenesis through NF-kappaB-mediated antiapoptotic pathway. Oncogene 33: 2968–2977.
35. HarhajEW, GoodL, XiaoG, SunSC (1999) Gene expression profiles in HTLV-I-immortalized T cells: deregulated expression of genes involved in apoptosis regulation. Oncogene 18: 1341–1349.
36. de La FuenteC, DengL, SantiagoF, ArceL, WangL, et al. (2000) Gene expression array of HTLV type 1-infected T cells: Up-regulation of transcription factors and cell cycle genes. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 16: 1695–1700.
37. Pise-MasisonCA, RadonovichM, DohoneyK, MorrisJC, O'MahonyD, et al. (2009) Gene expression profiling of ATL patients: compilation of disease-related genes and evidence for TCF4 involvement in BIRC5 gene expression and cell viability. Blood 113: 4016–4026.
38. WangZ, GersteinM, SnyderM (2009) RNA-Seq: a revolutionary tool for transcriptomics. Nat Rev Genet 10: 57–63.
39. PersaudD, MunozJL, TarsisSL, ParksES, ParksWP (1995) Time course and cytokine dependence of human T-cell lymphotropic virus type 1 T-lymphocyte transformation as revealed by a microtiter infectivity assay. J Virol 69: 6297–6303.
40. RuckesT, SaulD, Van SnickJ, HermineO, GrassmannR (2001) Autocrine antiapoptotic stimulation of cultured adult T-cell leukemia cells by overexpression of the chemokine I-309. Blood 98: 1150–1159.
41. JinZ, NagakuboD, ShirakawaAK, NakayamaT, ShigetaA, et al. (2009) CXCR7 is inducible by HTLV-1 Tax and promotes growth and survival of HTLV-1-infected T cells. Int J Cancer 125: 2229–2235.
42. ChenJ, PetrusM, BryantBR, Phuc NguyenV, StamerM, et al. (2008) Induction of the IL-9 gene by HTLV-I Tax stimulates the spontaneous proliferation of primary adult T-cell leukemia cells by a paracrine mechanism. Blood 111: 5163–5172.
43. ChungHK, YoungHA, GoonPK, HeideckerG, PrinclerGL, et al. (2003) Activation of interleukin-13 expression in T cells from HTLV-1-infected individuals and in chronically infected cell lines. Blood 102: 4130–4136.
44. NgPW, IhaH, IwanagaY, BittnerM, ChenY, et al. (2001) Genome-wide expression changes induced by HTLV-1 Tax: evidence for MLK-3 mixed lineage kinase involvement in Tax-mediated NF-kappaB activation. Oncogene 20: 4484–4496.
45. KwonH, OgleL, BenitezB, BohuslavJ, MontanoM, et al. (2005) Lethal cutaneous disease in transgenic mice conditionally expressing type I human T cell leukemia virus Tax. J Biol Chem 280: 35713–35722.
46. SmithMR, GreeneWC (1990) Identification of HTLV-I tax trans-activator mutants exhibiting novel transcriptional phenotypes. Genes Dev 4: 1875–1885.
47. HarhajEW, HarhajNS, GrantC, MostollerK, AlefantisT, et al. (2005) Human T cell leukemia virus type I Tax activates CD40 gene expression via the NF-kappa B pathway. Virology 333: 145–158.
48. SaitoM, TanakaR, ArishimaS, MatsuzakiT, IshiharaS, et al. (2013) Increased expression of OX40 is associated with progressive disease in patients with HTLV-1-associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis. Retrovirology 10: 51.
49. SunD, NovotnyM, BulekK, LiuC, LiX, et al. (2011) Treatment with IL-17 prolongs the half-life of chemokine CXCL1 mRNA via the adaptor TRAF5 and the splicing-regulatory factor SF2 (ASF). Nat Immunol 12: 853–860.
50. HironakaN, MochidaK, MoriN, MaedaM, YamamotoN, et al. (2004) Tax-independent constitutive IkappaB kinase activation in adult T-cell leukemia cells. Neoplasia 6: 266–278.
51. ZhaoT, MatsuokaM (2012) HBZ and its roles in HTLV-1 oncogenesis. Front Microbiol 3: 247.
52. YamagishiM, NakanoK, MiyakeA, YamochiT, KagamiY, et al. (2012) Polycomb-mediated loss of miR-31 activates NIK-dependent NF-kappaB pathway in adult T cell leukemia and other cancers. Cancer Cell 21: 121–135.
53. OshiroA, TagawaH, OhshimaK, KarubeK, UikeN, et al. (2006) Identification of subtype-specific genomic alterations in aggressive adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma. Blood 107: 4500–4507.
54. TsukasakiK, KrebsJ, NagaiK, TomonagaM, KoefflerHP, et al. (2001) Comparative genomic hybridization analysis in adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma: correlation with clinical course. Blood 97: 3875–3881.
55. FurutaS, JengYM, ZhouL, HuangL, KuhnI, et al. (2011) IL-25 causes apoptosis of IL-25R-expressing breast cancer cells without toxicity to nonmalignant cells. Sci Transl Med 3: 78ra31.
56. FortMM, CheungJ, YenD, LiJ, ZurawskiSM, et al. (2001) IL-25 induces IL-4, IL-5, and IL-13 and Th2-associated pathologies in vivo. Immunity 15: 985–995.
57. ChoiYB, HarhajEW (2014) HTLV-1 Tax stabilizes MCL-1 via TRAF6-dependent K63-linked polyubiquitination to promote cell survival and transformation. PLoS Pathog [In Press].
58. ShibataY, TanakaY, GohdaJ, InoueJ (2011) Activation of the IkappaB kinase complex by HTLV-1 Tax requires cytosolic factors involved in Tax-induced polyubiquitination. J Biochem 150: 679–686.
59. HuangGJ, ZhangZQ, JinDY (2002) Stimulation of IKK-gamma oligomerization by the human T-cell leukemia virus oncoprotein Tax. FEBS Lett 531: 494–498.
60. FuDX, KuoYL, LiuBY, JeangKT, GiamCZ (2003) Human T-lymphotropic virus type I tax activates I-kappa B kinase by inhibiting I-kappa B kinase-associated serine/threonine protein phosphatase 2A. J Biol Chem 278: 1487–1493.
61. RamosJC, RuizPJr, RatnerL, ReisIM, BritesC, et al. (2007) IRF-4 and c-Rel expression in antiviral-resistant adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma. Blood 109: 3060–3068.
62. WaldeleK, SilbermannK, SchneiderG, RuckesT, CullenBR, et al. (2006) Requirement of the human T-cell leukemia virus (HTLV-1) tax-stimulated HIAP-1 gene for the survival of transformed lymphocytes. Blood 107: 4491–4499.
63. SlamonDJ, Leyland-JonesB, ShakS, FuchsH, PatonV, et al. (2001) Use of chemotherapy plus a monoclonal antibody against HER2 for metastatic breast cancer that overexpresses HER2. N Engl J Med 344: 783–792.
64. CiardielloF, TortoraG (2001) A novel approach in the treatment of cancer: targeting the epidermal growth factor receptor. Clin Cancer Res 7: 2958–2970.
65. CharoenthongtrakulS, ZhouQ, ShembadeN, HarhajNS, HarhajEW (2011) Human T cell leukemia virus type 1 Tax inhibits innate antiviral signaling via NF-kappaB-dependent induction of SOCS1. J Virol 85: 6955–6962.
66. HarhajNS, JanicB, RamosJC, HarringtonWJJr, HarhajEW (2007) Deregulated expression of CD40 ligand in HTLV-I infection: distinct mechanisms of downregulation in HTLV-I-transformed cell lines and ATL patients. Virology 362: 99–108.
67. HagiyaK, YasunagaJ, SatouY, OhshimaK, MatsuokaM (2011) ATF3, an HTLV-1 bZip factor binding protein, promotes proliferation of adult T-cell leukemia cells. Retrovirology 8: 19.
68. LavorgnaA, HarhajEW (2012) An RNA interference screen identifies the Deubiquitinase STAMBPL1 as a critical regulator of human T-cell leukemia virus type 1 tax nuclear export and NF-kappaB activation. J Virol 86: 3357–3369.
69. ShembadeN, MaA, HarhajEW (2010) Inhibition of NF-kappaB signaling by A20 through disruption of ubiquitin enzyme complexes. Science 327: 1135–1139.