1. Bradshaw CS, Brotman RM. Making inroads into improving treatment of bacterial vaginosis–striving for long-term cure. BMC infectious diseases. 2015;15(1):292.
2. Forsum U, Holst E, Larsson P-G, Vasquez A, Jakobsson T, Mattsby‐Baltzer I. Bacterial vaginosis–a microbiological and immunological enigma. Apmis. 2005;113(2):81–90. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0463.2005.apm1130201.x 15723682
3. Turovskiy Y, Noll KS, Chikindas ML. The aetiology of bacterial vaginosis. Journal of applied microbiology. 2011;110(5):1105–28. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2672.2011.04977.x 21332897
4. Wilson J. Managing recurrent bacterial vaginosis. Sexually transmitted infections. 2004;80(1):8–11. doi: 10.1136/sti.2002.002733 14755028
5. Hull CE, McLellan AR. Acute and Recurrent Bacterial Vaginosis. Clinician Reviews. 2016;44.
6. O'brien RF. Bacterial vaginosis: many questions-any answers? Current opinion in pediatrics. 2005;17(4):473–9. doi: 10.1097/01.mop.0000170516.35272.45 16012258
7. Machado D, Castro J, Palmeira-de-Oliveira A, Martinez-de-Oliveira J, Cerca N. Bacterial Vaginosis Biofilms: Challenges to Current Therapies and Emerging Solutions. 2016.
8. Phillip Hay SP, David Daniels. UK National Guideline for the management of Bacterial Vaginosis 2012. UK: Clinical Effectiveness Group British Association for Sexual Health and HIV; 2012.
9. Ma L, Su J, Su Y, Sun W, Zeng Z. Probiotics administered intravaginally as a complementary therapy combined with antibiotics for the treatment of bacterial vaginosis: a systematic review protocol. BMJ open. 2017;7(10):e019301. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2017-019301 29038188
10. Hemmerling A, Harrison W, Schroeder A, Park J, Korn A, Shiboski S, et al. Phase 2a study assessing colonization efficiency, safety, and acceptability of Lactobacillus crispatus CTV-05 in women with bacterial vaginosis. Sexually transmitted diseases. 2010;37(12):745–50. doi: 10.1097/OLQ.0b013e3181e50026 20644497
11. Mogha KV, Prajapati JB. Evaluation of probiotic cream by in-vitro tests for treatment of bacterial vaginosis conditions. Reviews in Medical Microbiology. 2017;28(1):19–25.
12. NICE. UK National Guideline for the management of Bacterial Vaginosis 2012: National Institue for Health and Care Excellence 2012 [Available from: https://www.evidence.nhs.uk/search?q=bacterial+vaginosis.
13. Armitage C. Management of Vaginal Discharge. Women's Health in Primary Care. 2017:37.
14. Devaux S, Castela A, Archier E, Gallini A, Joly P, Misery L, et al. Adherence to topical treatment in psoriasis: a systematic literature review. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2012;26:61–7. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-3083.2012.04525.x 22512682
15. Kazdin AE. Acceptability of alternative treatments for deviant child behavior. Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis. 1980;13(2):259–73. doi: 10.1901/jaba.1980.13-259 7380752
16. Miltenberger RG. Assessment of treatment acceptability: A review of the literature. Topics in Early Childhood Special Education. 1990;10(3):24–38.
17. Barbosa CD, Balp M-M, Kulich K, Germain N, Rofail D. A literature review to explore the link between treatment satisfaction and adherence, compliance, and persistence. Patient preference and adherence. 2012;6:39. doi: 10.2147/PPA.S24752 22272068
18. Sekhon M, Cartwright M, Francis JJ. Acceptability of healthcare interventions: an overview of reviews and development of a theoretical framework. BMC health services research. 2017;17(1):88. doi: 10.1186/s12913-017-2031-8 28126032
19. Bilardi JE, Walker S, Temple-Smith M, McNair R, Mooney-Somers J, Bellhouse C, et al. The burden of bacterial vaginosis: women’s experience of the physical, emotional, sexual and social impact of living with recurrent bacterial vaginosis. PloS one. 2013;8(9):e74378. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0074378 24040236
20. ISRCTN. Metronidazole versus lactic acId for treating bacterial vaginosis ISRCTN14161293 registry BMC Springer Nature 2019 [Available from: https://doi.org/10.1186/ISRCTN14161293.
21. Lindsay Armstrong-Buisseret CB, David Miruna, Dean Gillian, Griffiths Frances, Hepburn Trish, Jackson Louise, Kai Joe, Montgomery Alan, Roberts Tracy, Thandi Sukhwinder and Ross Jonathan D. C. Protocol has been submitted—Metronidazole versus lactic acid for treating bacterial vaginosis (VITA): protocol for a randomised controlled trial to assess the clinical and cost effectiveness of topical lactic acid gel for treating second and subsequent episodes of bacterial vaginosis. Trials. 2019;in submission
22. O’Brien BC, Harris IB, Beckman TJ, Reed DA, Cook DA. Standards for reporting qualitative research: a synthesis of recommendations. Academic Medicine. 2014;89(9):1245–51. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000388 24979285
23. Braun V, Clarke V. Using thematic analysis in psychology. Qualitative Research in Psychology. 2006;3(2):77–101.
24. Bilardi JE, Walker SM, Temple-Smith MJ, McNair RP, Mooney-Somers J, Vodstrcil LA, et al. Women view key sexual behaviours as the trigger for the onset and recurrence of bacterial vaginosis. PloS one. 2017;12(3):e0173637. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0173637 28278277
25. Adolfsson A, Hagander A, Mahjoubipour F, Larsson P-G. How Vaginal Infections Impact Women's Everyday Life: Women's Lived Experiences of Bacterial Vaginosis and Recurrent Vulvovaginal Candidiasis. Advances in Sexual Medicine. 2017;7(1):1–19.
26. Payne SC, Cromer PR, Stanek MK, Palmer AA. Evidence of African‐American women's frustrations with chronic recurrent bacterial vaginosis. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners. 2010;22(2):101–8. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-7599.2009.00474.x 20132368
27. McGowan I, Gomez K, Bruder K, Febo I, Chen BA, Richardson BA, et al. Phase 1 randomized trial of the vaginal safety and acceptability of SPL7013 gel (VivaGel®) in sexually active young women (MTN-004). AIDS (London, England). 2011;25(8):1057.
28. Coggins C, Blanchard K, Alvarez F, Brache V, Weisberg E, Kilmarx P, et al. Preliminary safety and acceptability of a carrageenan gel for possible use as a vaginal microbicide. Sexually Transmitted Infections. 2000;76(6):480–3. doi: 10.1136/sti.76.6.480 11221133