1. UNAIDS (2011) UNAIDS 2011 World AIDS Day report. http://www.unaids.org/en/resources/publications/2011/name,63525,en.asp
2. WHO (1997) World Health Organization Hepatitis C: global prevalance. Wkly Epidemiol Rec 341–348.
3. StetsonDB, MedzhitovR (2006) Type I interferons in host defense. Immunity 25: 373–381.
4. BeignonAS, McKennaK, SkoberneM, ManchesO, DaSilvaI, et al. (2005) Endocytosis of HIV-1 activates plasmacytoid dendritic cells via Toll-like receptor-viral RNA interactions. J Clin Invest 115: 3265–3275.
5. LepelleyA, LouisS, SourisseauM, LawHK, PothlichetJ, et al. (2011) Innate sensing of HIV-infected cells. PLoS Pathog 7: e1001284.
6. O'BrienM, ManchesO, SabadoRL, BarandaSJ, WangY, et al. (2011) Spatiotemporal trafficking of HIV in human plasmacytoid dendritic cells defines a persistently IFN-alpha-producing and partially matured phenotype. J Clin Invest 121: 1088–1101.
7. DreuxM, GaraigortaU, BoydB, DecembreE, ChungJ, et al. (2012) Short-range exosomal transfer of viral RNA from infected cells to plasmacytoid dendritic cells triggers innate immunity. Cell Host Microbe 12: 558–570.
8. RobertsL, PassmoreJA, WilliamsonC, LittleF, BebellLM, et al. (2010) Plasma cytokine levels during acute HIV-1 infection predict HIV disease progression. AIDS 24: 819–831.
9. ChattergoonMA, LevineJS, LatanichR, OsburnWO, ThomasDL, et al. (2011) High plasma interleukin-18 levels mark the acute phase of hepatitis C virus infection. The Journal of infectious diseases 204: 1730–1740.
10. LamkanfiM, KannegantiTD, FranchiL, NunezG (2007) Caspase-1 inflammasomes in infection and inflammation. Journal of leukocyte biology 82: 220–225.
11. YearleyJH, XiaD, PearsonCB, CarvilleA, ShannonRP, et al. (2009) Interleukin-18 predicts atherosclerosis progression in SIV-infected and uninfected rhesus monkeys (Macaca mulatta) on a high-fat/high-cholesterol diet. Laboratory investigation; a journal of technical methods and pathology 89: 657–667.
12. MallatZ, CorbazA, ScoazecA, BesnardS, LesecheG, et al. (2001) Expression of interleukin-18 in human atherosclerotic plaques and relation to plaque instability. Circulation 104: 1598–1603.
13. PirhonenJ, SarenevaT, KurimotoM, JulkunenI, MatikainenS (1999) Virus infection activates IL-1 beta and IL-18 production in human macrophages by a caspase-1-dependent pathway. Journal of immunology 162: 7322–7329.
14. SharmaA, ChakrabortiA, DasA, DhimanRK, ChawlaY (2009) Elevation of interleukin-18 in chronic hepatitis C: implications for hepatitis C virus pathogenesis. Immunology 128: e514–522.
15. WatanabeD, UehiraT, YonemotoH, BandoH, OgawaY, et al. (2010) Sustained high levels of serum interferon-gamma during HIV-1 infection: a specific trend different from other cytokines. Viral immunology 23: 619–625.
16. IannelloA, BoulasselMR, SamaraniS, TremblayC, TomaE, et al. (2010) HIV-1 causes an imbalance in the production of interleukin-18 and its natural antagonist in HIV-infected individuals: implications for enhanced viral replication. The Journal of infectious diseases 201: 608–617.
17. BurdetteD, HaskettA, PresserL, McRaeS, IqbalJ, et al. (2012) Hepatitis C virus activates interleukin-1beta via caspase-1-inflammasome complex. J Gen Virol 93: 235–246.
18. ShrivastavaS, MukherjeeA, RayR, RayRB (2013) Hepatitis C Virus Induces Il-1beta/Il-18 In Circulatory And Resident Liver Macrophages. J Virol [epub ahead of print].
19. NegashAA, RamosHJ, CrochetN, LauDT, DoehleB, et al. (2013) IL-1beta production through the NLRP3 inflammasome by hepatic macrophages links hepatitis C virus infection with liver inflammation and disease. PLoS Pathog 9: e1003330.
20. DoitshG, GallowayNL, GengX, YangZ, MonroeKM, et al. (2013) Cell death by pyroptosis drives CD4 T-cell depletion in HIV-1 infection. Nature 505(7484): 509–14.
21. DoitshG, CavroisM, LassenKG, ZepedaO, YangZ, et al. (2010) Abortive HIV infection mediates CD4 T cell depletion and inflammation in human lymphoid tissue. Cell 143: 789–801.
22. ShrivastavaS, MukherjeeA, RayR, RayRB (2013) Hepatitis C virus induces interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta)/IL-18 in circulatory and resident liver macrophages. J Virol 87: 12284–12290.
23. YiM, VillanuevaRA, ThomasDL, WakitaT, LemonSM (2006) Production of infectious genotype 1a hepatitis C virus (Hutchinson strain) in cultured human hepatoma cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103: 2310–2315.
24. MonroeKM, YangZ, JohnsonJR, GengX, DoitshG, et al. (2013) IFI16 DNA Sensor Is Required for Death of Lymphoid CD4 T Cells Abortively Infected with HIV. Science 343: 428–432.
25. RasaiyaahJ, TanCP, FletcherAJ, PriceAJ, BlondeauC, et al. (2013) HIV-1 evades innate immune recognition through specific cofactor recruitment. Nature 503: 402–405.
26. CervantesJL, WeinermanB, BasoleC, SalazarJC (2012) TLR8: the forgotten relative revindicated. Cell Mol Immunol 9: 434–438.
27. HeilF, HemmiH, HochreinH, AmpenbergerF, KirschningC, et al. (2004) Species-specific recognition of single-stranded RNA via toll-like receptor 7 and 8. Science 303: 1526–1529.
28. GringhuisSI, van der VlistM, van den BergLM, den DunnenJ, LitjensM, et al. (2010) HIV-1 exploits innate signaling by TLR8 and DC-SIGN for productive infection of dendritic cells. Nat Immunol 11: 419–426.
29. KannegantiTD (2010) Central roles of NLRs and inflammasomes in viral infection. Nature reviews Immunology 10: 688–698.
30. SaitoT, OwenDM, JiangF, MarcotrigianoJ, GaleMJr (2008) Innate immunity induced by composition-dependent RIG-I recognition of hepatitis C virus RNA. Nature 454: 523–527.
31. ZhongJ, GastaminzaP, ChengG, KapadiaS, KatoT, et al. (2005) Robust hepatitis C virus infection in vitro. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102: 9294–9299.
32. OttoMJ, GarberS, WinslowDL, ReidCD, AldrichP, et al. (1993) In vitro isolation and identification of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) variants with reduced sensitivity to C-2 symmetrical inhibitors of HIV type 1 protease. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 90: 7543–7547.
33. GalloRC, SalahuddinSZ, PopovicM, ShearerGM, KaplanM, et al. (1984) Frequent detection and isolation of cytopathic retroviruses (HTLV-III) from patients with AIDS and at risk for AIDS. Science 224: 500–503.
34. GartnerS, MarkovitsP, MarkovitzDM, KaplanMH, GalloRC, et al. (1986) The role of mononuclear phagocytes in HTLV-III/LAV infection. Science 233: 215–219.
35. DelgrangeD, PillezA, CastelainS, CocquerelL, RouilleY, et al. (2007) Robust production of infectious viral particles in Huh-7 cells by introducing mutations in hepatitis C virus structural proteins. The Journal of general virology 88: 2495–2503.
36. HellerT, SaitoS, AuerbachJ, WilliamsT, MoreenTR, et al. (2005) An in vitro model of hepatitis C virion production. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102: 2579–2583.