1. Grenade L, Boldy D. Social Isolation and Loneliness among Older People: Issues and Future Challenges in Community and Residential Settings. Australian Health Review. 2008;32(3):468–78. 18666874
2. Smith TF, Hirdes JP. Predicting social isolation among geriatric psychiatry patients. International Psychogeriatrics. 2009;21(1):50–9. doi: 10.1017/S1041610208007850 18959811
3. Saito M, Kondo K, Ojima T, Kondo N, Hirai H. Different association between the loss of healthy life expectancy and social isolation by life satisfaction among older people: A four-year follow-up study of AGES project. Japanese Journal of Gerontology. 2013;35(3):331–41.
4. Saito M, Kondo K, Ojima T, Hirai H, group J. Criteria for social isolation based on associations with health indicators among older people. A 10-year follow-up of the Aichi Gerontological Evaluation Study. Japanese Journal of Public Health. 2015;62(3):95. 26073925
5. Fratiglioni L, Wang H-X, Ericsson K, Maytan M, Winblad B. Influence of social network on occurrence of dementia: a community-based longitudinal study. The Lancet. 2000;355(9212):1315–9.
6. Kuiper JS, Zuidersma M, Oude Voshaar RC, Zuidema SU, van den Heuvel ER, Stolk RP, et al. Social relationships and risk of dementia: A systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal cohort studies. Ageing Research Reviews. 2015;22:39–57. doi: 10.1016/j.arr.2015.04.006 25956016
7. Choi H, Irwin MR, Cho HJ. Impact of social isolation on behavioral health in elderly: Systematic review. World journal of psychiatry. 2015;5(4):432. doi: 10.5498/wjp.v5.i4.432 26740935
8. Hawton A, Green C, Dickens AP, Richards SH, Taylor RS, Edwards R, et al. The impact of social isolation on the health status and health-related quality of life of older people. Quality of Life Research. 2011;20(1):57–67. doi: 10.1007/s11136-010-9717-2 20658322
9. Eng PM, Rimm EB, Fitzmaurice G, Kawachi I. Social ties and change in social ties in relation to subsequent total and cause-specific mortality and coronary heart disease incidence in men. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2002;155(8):700–9. doi: 10.1093/aje/155.8.700 11943687
10. Holt-Lunstad J, Smith TB, Baker M, Harris T, Stephenson D. Loneliness and Social Isolation as Risk Factors for Mortality: A Meta-Analytic Review. Perspectives on Psychological Science. 2015;10(2):227–37. doi: 10.1177/1745691614568352 25910392
11. Holt-Lunstad J, Smith TB, Layton JB. Social relationships and mortality risk: A meta-analytic review. PLoS Medicine. 2010;7(7).
12. Pantell M, Rehkopf D, Jutte D, Syme SL, Balmes J, Adler N. Social isolation: A predictor of mortality comparable to traditional clinical risk factors. American Journal of Public Health. 2013;103(11):2056–62. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301261 24028260
13. Smith SG, Jackson SE, Kobayashi LC, Steptoe A. Social Isolation, Health Literacy, and Mortality Risk: Findings From the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. HEALTH PSYCHOLOGY. 2018;37(2):160–9. doi: 10.1037/hea0000541 29172607
14. Steptoe A, Shankar A, Demakakos P, Wardle J. Social isolation, loneliness, and all-cause mortality in older men and women. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2013;110(15):5797–801.
15. Nicholson NR. A Review of Social Isolation: An Important but Underassessed Condition in Older Adults. The Journal of Primary Prevention. 2012;33(2):137–52.
16. Iliffe S, Kharicha K, Harari D, Swift C, Gillmann G, Stuck AE. Health risk appraisal in older people 2: the implications for clinicians and commissioners of social isolation risk in older people. British Journal of General Practice. 2007;57(537):277–82. 17394730
17. Jang Y, Park NS, Chiriboga DA, Yoon H, Ko J, Lee J, et al. Risk Factors for Social Isolation in Older Korean Americans. Journal of Aging and Health. 2016;28(1):3–18. doi: 10.1177/0898264315584578 25953812
18. Saito M, Fujiwara Y, Kobayashi E, Fukaya T, Nishi M, Shinkai S. Prevalence and characteristics of social isolation in the elderly in a dormitory suburb according to household composition. Japanese Journal of Public Health. 2010;57(9):785–95. 21061557
19. Havens B, Hall M, Sylvestre G, Jivan T. Social Isolation and Loneliness: Differences between Older Rural and Urban Manitobans. Canadian Journal on Aging/Revue canadienne du vieillissement. 2004;23(2):129–40. 15334813
20. Kharicha K, Iliffe S, Harari D, Swift C, Gillmann G, Stuck AE. Health risk appraisal in older people 1: are older people living alone an 'at-risk' group? British Journal of General Practice. 2007;57(537):271–6. 17394729
21. Shimada K, Yamazaki S, Nakano K, Ngoma AM, Takahashi R, Yasumura S. Prevalence of Social Isolation in Community-Dwelling Elderly by Differences in Household Composition and Related Factors: From a Social Network Perspective in Urban Japan. Journal of Aging and Health. 2014;26(5):807–23. doi: 10.1177/0898264314531616 24812264
22. Ejiri M, Kawai H, Fujiwara Y, Ihara K, Hirano H, Kojima M, et al. Predictors of social isolation among older people living in urban area: a prospective study. Japanese Journal of Public Health. 2018;65(3):125–33. 29618710
23. Aida J, Kondo K, Hirai H, Subramanian SV, Murata C, Kondo N, et al. Assessing the association between all-cause mortality and multiple aspects of individual social capital among the older Japanese. BMC Public Health. 2011;11(1):499.
24. Hsu HC. Does social participation by the elderly reduce mortality and cognitive impairment? Aging & Mental Health. 2007;11(6):699–707.
25. James BD, Wilson RS, Barnes LL, Bennett DA. Late-Life Social Activity and Cognitive Decline in Old Age. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society. 2011;17(6):998–1005. doi: 10.1017/S1355617711000531 22040898
26. Wang H-X, Karp A, Winblad B, Fratiglioni L. Late-life engagement in social and leisure activities is associated with a decreased risk of dementia: A longitudinal study from the Kungsholmen Project. American Journal of Epidemiology. 2002;155(12):1081–7. doi: 10.1093/aje/155.12.1081 12048221
27. Chiao C, Weng L-J, Botticello AL. Social participation reduces depressive symptoms among older adults: An 18-year longitudinal analysis in Taiwan. BMC Public Health. 2011;11(1):292-.
28. Cruwys T, Dingle GA, Haslam C, Haslam SA, Jetten J, Morton TA. Social group memberships protect against future depression, alleviate depression symptoms and prevent depression relapse. Social Science & Medicine. 2013;98:179–86.
29. Levasseur M, Richard L, Gauvin L, Raymond É. Inventory and analysis of definitions of social participation found in the aging literature: Proposed taxonomy of social activities. Social Science & Medicine. 2010;71(12):2141–9.
30. Kanamori S, Kai Y, Aida J, Kondo K, Kawachi I, Hirai H, et al. Social participation and the prevention of functional disability in older Japanese: The JAGES cohort study. PLoS ONE. 2014;9(6).
31. Tomioka K, Kurumatani N, Hosoi H. Association Between Social Participation and 3-Year Change in Instrumental Activities of Daily Living in Community-Dwelling Elderly Adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2017;65(1):107–13. doi: 10.1111/jgs.14447 27673582
32. Amagasa S, Fukushima N, Kikuchi H, Oka K, Takamiya T, Odagiri Y, et al. Types of social participation and psychological distress in Japanese older adults: A five-year cohort study. PLOS ONE. 2017;12(4).
33. Kishimoto Y, Suzuki E, Iwase T, Doi H, Takao S. Group involvement and self-rated health among the Japanese elderly: An examination of bonding and bridging social capital. BMC Public Health. 2013;13(1):1189-.
34. Sun W, Watanabe M, Tanimoto Y, Shibutani T, Kono R, Saito M, et al. Factors associated with good self-rated health of non-disabled elderly living alone in Japan: A cross-sectional study. BMC Public Health. 2007;7(1):297-.
35. Takagi D, Kondo K, Kawachi I. Social participation and mental health: Moderating effects of gender, social role and rurality. BMC Public Health. 2013;13(1):701.
36. Tomioka K, Kurumatani N, Hosoi H. Positive and negative influences of social participation on physical and mental health among community-dwelling elderly aged 65–70 years: a cross-sectional study in Japan. BMC GERIATRICS. 2017;17(1):111–13. doi: 10.1186/s12877-017-0502-8 28525988
37. Cabinet Office, Government of Japan. 2017 Survey on the health of the elderly. https://www8.cao.go.jp/kourei/ishiki/h29/gaiyo/index.html. Accessed 4 March 2019.
38. Ito D, Kondo K. The Relationship between the Rate of Certification of Needed Support or Long-Term Care and Community Organization Participation Rate as an Index of Social Capital -Analysis by Long-term Care Insurer in JAGES-. Japanese Society for the Study of Social Welfare. 2013;54(2):56–69.
39. Koyano W, Shibata H, Nakazato K, Haga H, Suyama Y. Measurement of competence: reliability and validity of the TMIG Index of Competence. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 1991;13(2):103–16. 15374421
40. Shinkai S, Fujita K, Fujiwara Y, Kumagai S, Amano H, Yoshida H, et al. Prevalence and characteristics of different types of homeboundness among community-living older adults. Japanese Journal of Public Health. 2005;52(6):443–55. 16038413
41. Murata C, Saito T, Tsuji T, Saito M, Kondo K. A 10-Year Follow-Up Study of Social Ties and Functional Health among the Old: The AGES Project. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2017;14(7).
42. Toepoel V. Ageing, Leisure, and Social Connectedness: How could Leisure Help Reduce Social Isolation of Older People? Social Indicators Research. 2013;113(1):355–72. doi: 10.1007/s11205-012-0097-6 23874058
43. Yamakita M, Kanamori S, Kondo N, Kondo K. Correlates of regular participation in sports groups among Japanese older adults:Jages cross-sectional study. PLoS ONE. 2015;10(10).
44. Lam BCP, Haslam C, Haslam SA, Steffens NK, Cruwys T, Jetten J, et al. Multiple social groups support adjustment to retirement across cultures. Social science & medicine. 2018;208:200–8.
45. Tomioka K, Kurumatani N, Hosoi H. Association Between Social Participation and Instrumental Activities of Daily Living Among Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Journal of Epidemiology. 2016;26(10):553–61. doi: 10.2188/jea.JE20150253 27180933
46. Saito T, Kondo K, Murata C, Jeong S, Suzuki K, Kondo N. Gender and regional differences in going-out, social, and leisure activities among older adults. Findings from the JAGES Project. Japanese Journal of Public Health. 2015;62(10):596–608. 26607919