1. JiC, KaplowitzN (2003) Betaine decreases hyperhomocysteinemia, endoplasmic reticulum stress, and liver injury in alcohol-fed mice. Gastroenterology 124: 1488–1499.
2. LeeJS, ZhengZ, MendezR, HaSW, XieY, et al. (2012) Pharmacologic ER stress induces non-alcoholic steatohepatitis in an animal model. Toxicol Lett 211: 29–38.
3. OzcanU, YilmazE, OzcanL, FuruhashiM, VaillancourtE, et al. (2006) Chemical chaperones reduce ER stress and restore glucose homeostasis in a mouse model of type 2 diabetes. Science 313: 1137–1140.
4. PuriP, MirshahiF, CheungO, NatarajanR, MaherJW, et al. (2008) Activation and dysregulation of the unfolded protein response in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Gastroenterology 134: 568–576.
5. RinellaME, SiddiquiMS, GardikiotesK, GottsteinJ, EliasM, et al. (2011) Dysregulation of the unfolded protein response in db/db mice with diet-induced steatohepatitis. Hepatology 54: 1600–1609.
6. Bondini S, Kleiner DE, Goodman ZD, Gramlich T, Younossi ZM (2007) Pathologic assessment of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Clin Liver Dis 11: 17–23, vii.
7. O'Shea RS, Dasarathy S, McCullough AJ (2010) Alcoholic liver disease. Am J Gastroenterol 105: 14–32; quiz 33.
8. JiC, Mehrian-ShaiR, ChanC, HsuYH, KaplowitzN (2005) Role of CHOP in hepatic apoptosis in the murine model of intragastric ethanol feeding. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 29: 1496–1503.
9. ShinoharaM, JiC, KaplowitzN (2010) Differences in betaine-homocysteine methyltransferase expression, endoplasmic reticulum stress response, and liver injury between alcohol-fed mice and rats. Hepatology 51: 796–805.
10. EsfandiariF, VillanuevaJA, WongDH, FrenchSW, HalstedCH (2005) Chronic ethanol feeding and folate deficiency activate hepatic endoplasmic reticulum stress pathway in micropigs. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 289: G54–63.
11. HowarthDL, VacaruAM, TsedensodnomO, MormoneE, NietoN, et al. (2012) Alcohol disrupts endoplasmic reticulum function and protein secretion in hepatocytes. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 36: 14–23.
12. PasseriMJ, CinarogluA, GaoC, SadlerKC (2009) Hepatic steatosis in response to acute alcohol exposure in zebrafish requires sterol regulatory element binding protein activation. Hepatology 49: 443–452.
13. Tsedensodnom O, Vacaru AM, Howarth DL, Yin C, Sadler KC (2013) Ethanol metabolism and oxidative stress are required for unfolded protein response activation and steatosis in zebrafish with alcoholic liver disease. Dis Model Mech.
14. MagneL, BlancE, LegrandB, LucasD, BaroukiR, et al. (2011) ATF4 and the integrated stress response are induced by ethanol and cytochrome P450 2E1 in human hepatocytes. J Hepatol 54: 729–737.
15. YamamotoK, YoshidaH, KokameK, KaufmanRJ, MoriK (2004) Differential contributions of ATF6 and XBP1 to the activation of endoplasmic reticulum stress-responsive cis-acting elements ERSE, UPRE and ERSE-II. J Biochem 136: 343–350.
16. WuJ, RutkowskiDT, DuboisM, SwathirajanJ, SaundersT, et al. (2007) ATF6alpha optimizes long-term endoplasmic reticulum function to protect cells from chronic stress. Dev Cell 13: 351–364.
17. HardingHP, ZhangY, BertolottiA, ZengH, RonD (2000) Perk is essential for translational regulation and cell survival during the unfolded protein response. Mol Cell 5: 897–904.
18. HardingHP, NovoaI, ZhangY, ZengH, WekR, et al. (2000) Regulated translation initiation controls stress-induced gene expression in mammalian cells. Mol Cell 6: 1099–1108.
19. TeskeBF, WekSA, BunpoP, CundiffJK, McClintickJN, et al. (2011) The eIF2 kinase PERK and the integrated stress response facilitate activation of ATF6 during endoplasmic reticulum stress. Mol Biol Cell 22: 4390–4405.
20. ZhangK, WangS, MalhotraJ, HasslerJR, BackSH, et al. (2011) The unfolded protein response transducer IRE1alpha prevents ER stress-induced hepatic steatosis. EMBO J 30: 1357–1375.
21. RutkowskiDT, WuJ, BackSH, CallaghanMU, FerrisSP, et al. (2008) UPR pathways combine to prevent hepatic steatosis caused by ER stress-mediated suppression of transcriptional master regulators. Dev Cell 15: 829–840.
22. YamamotoK, TakaharaK, OyadomariS, OkadaT, SatoT, et al. (2010) Induction of liver steatosis and lipid droplet formation in ATF6alpha-knockout mice burdened with pharmacological endoplasmic reticulum stress. Mol Biol Cell 21: 2975–2986.
23. CinarogluA, GaoC, ImrieD, SadlerKC (2011) Activating transcription factor 6 plays protective and pathological roles in steatosis due to endoplasmic reticulum stress in zebrafish. Hepatology 54: 495–508.
24. WeiY, WangD, TopczewskiF, PagliassottiMJ (2006) Saturated fatty acids induce endoplasmic reticulum stress and apoptosis independently of ceramide in liver cells. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291: E275–281.
25. WangD, WeiY, PagliassottiMJ (2006) Saturated fatty acids promote endoplasmic reticulum stress and liver injury in rats with hepatic steatosis. Endocrinology 147: 943–951.
26. ColganSM, TangD, WerstuckGH, AustinRC (2007) Endoplasmic reticulum stress causes the activation of sterol regulatory element binding protein-2. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 39: 1843–1851.
27. KammounHL, ChabanonH, HainaultI, LuquetS, MagnanC, et al. (2009) GRP78 expression inhibits insulin and ER stress-induced SREBP-1c activation and reduces hepatic steatosis in mice. J Clin Invest 119: 1201–1215.
28. YouM, CrabbDW (2004) Molecular mechanisms of alcoholic fatty liver: role of sterol regulatory element-binding proteins. Alcohol 34: 39–43.
29. YouM, FischerM, DeegMA, CrabbDW (2002) Ethanol induces fatty acid synthesis pathways by activation of sterol regulatory element-binding protein (SREBP). J Biol Chem 277: 29342–29347.
30. HiguchiN, KatoM, ShundoY, TajiriH, TanakaM, et al. (2008) Liver X receptor in cooperation with SREBP-1c is a major lipid synthesis regulator in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Hepatol Res 38: 1122–1129.
31. KohjimaM, HiguchiN, KatoM, KotohK, YoshimotoT, et al. (2008) SREBP-1c, regulated by the insulin and AMPK signaling pathways, plays a role in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Int J Mol Med 21: 507–511.
32. ZhangC, ChenX, ZhuRM, ZhangY, YuT, et al. (2012) Endoplasmic reticulum stress is involved in hepatic SREBP-1c activation and lipid accumulation in fructose-fed mice. Toxicol Lett 212: 229–240.
33. YeJ, RawsonRB, KomuroR, ChenX, DaveUP, et al. (2000) ER stress induces cleavage of membrane-bound ATF6 by the same proteases that process SREBPs. Mol Cell 6: 1355–1364.
34. NorthTE, BabuIR, VedderLM, LordAM, WishnokJS, et al. (2010) PGE2-regulated wnt signaling and N-acetylcysteine are synergistically hepatoprotective in zebrafish acetaminophen injury. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107: 17315–17320.
35. HowarthDL, YinC, YehK, SadlerKC (2013) Defining hepatic dysfunction parameters in two models of fatty liver disease in zebrafish larvae. Zebrafish 10: 199–210.
36. YinC, EvasonKJ, MaherJJ, StainierDY (2012) The basic helix-loop-helix transcription factor, heart and neural crest derivatives expressed transcript 2, marks hepatic stellate cells in zebrafish: analysis of stellate cell entry into the developing liver. Hepatology 56: 1958–1970.
37. LiuLY, FoxCS, NorthTE, GoesslingW (2013) Functional validation of GWAS gene candidates for abnormal liver function during zebrafish liver development. Dis Model Mech 6: 1271–1278.
38. DeverTE, FengL, WekRC, CiganAM, DonahueTF, et al. (1992) Phosphorylation of initiation factor 2 alpha by protein kinase GCN2 mediates gene-specific translational control of GCN4 in yeast. Cell 68: 585–596.
39. NambaT, IshiharaT, TanakaK, HoshinoT, MizushimaT (2007) Transcriptional activation of ATF6 by endoplasmic reticulum stressors. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 355: 543–548.
40. Mudbhary R, Hoshida Y, Chernyavskaya Y, Jacob V, Villanueva A, et al.. (2014) UHRF1 Overexpression Drives DNA Hypomethylation and Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Cancer Cell.
41. BelmontPJ, TadimallaA, ChenWJ, MartindaleJJ, ThueraufDJ, et al. (2008) Coordination of growth and endoplasmic reticulum stress signaling by regulator of calcineurin 1 (RCAN1), a novel ATF6-inducible gene. J Biol Chem 283: 14012–14021.
42. HerGM, ChiangCC, ChenWY, WuJL (2003) In vivo studies of liver-type fatty acid binding protein (L-FABP) gene expression in liver of transgenic zebrafish (Danio rerio). FEBS Lett 538: 125–133.
43. NyeCK, HansonRW, KalhanSC (2008) Glyceroneogenesis is the dominant pathway for triglyceride glycerol synthesis in vivo in the rat. J Biol Chem 283: 27565–27574.
44. WetterauJR, LinMC, JamilH (1997) Microsomal triglyceride transfer protein. Biochim Biophys Acta 1345: 136–150.
45. ShimanoH, ShimomuraI, HammerRE, HerzJ, GoldsteinJL, et al. (1997) Elevated levels of SREBP-2 and cholesterol synthesis in livers of mice homozygous for a targeted disruption of the SREBP-1 gene. J Clin Invest 100: 2115–2124.
46. HortonJD, ShimomuraI, BrownMS, HammerRE, GoldsteinJL, et al. (1998) Activation of cholesterol synthesis in preference to fatty acid synthesis in liver and adipose tissue of transgenic mice overproducing sterol regulatory element-binding protein-2. J Clin Invest 101: 2331–2339.
47. ShimanoH, HortonJD, HammerRE, ShimomuraI, BrownMS, et al. (1996) Overproduction of cholesterol and fatty acids causes massive liver enlargement in transgenic mice expressing truncated SREBP-1a. J Clin Invest 98: 1575–1584.
48. ZengL, LuM, MoriK, LuoS, LeeAS, et al. (2004) ATF6 modulates SREBP2-mediated lipogenesis. EMBO J 23: 950–958.
49. KaplowitzN, JiC (2006) Unfolding new mechanisms of alcoholic liver disease in the endoplasmic reticulum. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21 Suppl 3S7–9.
50. Ben MosbahI, Alfany-FernandezI, MartelC, ZaoualiMA, Bintanel-MorcilloM, et al. (2010) Endoplasmic reticulum stress inhibition protects steatotic and non-steatotic livers in partial hepatectomy under ischemia-reperfusion. Cell Death Dis 1: e52.
51. YeR, JungDY, JunJY, LiJ, LuoS, et al. (2010) Grp78 heterozygosity promotes adaptive unfolded protein response and attenuates diet-induced obesity and insulin resistance. Diabetes 59: 6–16.
52. HortonJD, ShahNA, WarringtonJA, AndersonNN, ParkSW, et al. (2003) Combined analysis of oligonucleotide microarray data from transgenic and knockout mice identifies direct SREBP target genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 100: 12027–12032.
53. KarsM, YangL, GregorMF, MohammedBS, PietkaTA, et al. (2010) Tauroursodeoxycholic Acid may improve liver and muscle but not adipose tissue insulin sensitivity in obese men and women. Diabetes 59: 1899–1905.
54. XiaoC, GiaccaA, LewisGF (2011) Sodium phenylbutyrate, a drug with known capacity to reduce endoplasmic reticulum stress, partially alleviates lipid-induced insulin resistance and beta-cell dysfunction in humans. Diabetes 60: 918–924.
55. DongPD, MunsonCA, NortonW, CrosnierC, PanX, et al. (2007) Fgf10 regulates hepatopancreatic ductal system patterning and differentiation. Nat Genet 39: 397–402.
56. BlighEG, DyerWJ (1959) A rapid method of total lipid extraction and purification. Can J Biochem Physiol 37: 911–917.
57. WuD, WangX, ZhouR, CederbaumA (2010) CYP2E1 enhances ethanol-induced lipid accumulation but impairs autophagy in HepG2 E47 cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 402: 116–122.
58. NarasimhanSD, YenK, BansalA, KwonES, PadmanabhanS, et al. (2011) PDP-1 links the TGF-beta and IIS pathways to regulate longevity, development, and metabolism. PLoS Genet 7: e1001377.