1. Schoen C, Osborn R, Doty MM, Squires D, Peugh J, Applebaum S. A survey of primary care physicians in eleven countries, 2009: perspectives on care, costs, and experiences. Health Aff (Millwood). 2009;28:w1171–w1183.
2. National Health and Hospitals Reform Commission. A healthier future for all Australians—final report—June 2009. 2009 Jun 30 [cited 1 May 2016]. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia. Available: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/nhhrc/publishing.nsf/Content/1AFDEAF1FB76A1D8CA257600000B5BE2/.
3. House of Representatives Standing Committee on Health and Ageing. The blame game: report on the inquiry into health funding. 2006 Nov [cited 1 May 2016]. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia. Available: http://www.aph.gov.au/parliamentary_business/committees/house_of_representatives_committees?url=haa/./healthfunding/report/fullreport.pdf.
4. Lorig KR, Ritter P, Stewart AL, Sobel DS, Brown BW, Bandura A, et al. Chronic disease self-management program: 2-year health status and health care utilization outcomes. Med Care. 2001;39:1217–1223. 11606875
5. De Silva D. Evidence: helping people help themselves—a review of the evidence considering whether it is worthwhile to support self-management. 2011[cited 1 May 2016]. London: The Health Foundation. Available: http://personcentredcare.health.org.uk/sites/default/files/resources/helping_people_help_themselves_0.pdf.
6. Dy SM, Apostol C, Martinez KA, Aslakson RA. Continuity, coordination, and transitions of care for patients with serious and advanced illness: a systematic review of interventions. J Palliat Med. 2013;16:436–445. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2012.0317 23488450
7. Huntley AL, Thomas R, Mann M, Huws D, Elwyn G, Paranjothy S, et al. Is case management effective in reducing the risk of unplanned hospital admissions for older people? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Fam Pract. 2013;30:266–275. doi: 10.1093/fampra/cms081 23315222
8. Jackson CT, Trygstad TK, DeWalt DA, DuBard CA. Transitional care cut hospital admissions for North Carolina Medicaid patients with complex chronic conditions. Health Aff (Millwood). 2013;32:1407–1415.
9. Craig P, Dieppe P, Macintyre S, Michie S, Nazareth I, Petticrew M. Developing and evaluating complex interventions: the new Medical Research Council guidance. Int J Nurs Stud. 2013;50:587–592. doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2012.09.010 23159157
10. NSW Government. NSW government program evaluation guidelines. 2016 Jan [cited 1 May 2016]. Available: http://www.dpc.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0009/155844/NSW_Government_Program_Evaluation_Guidelines.pdf.
11. Perla RJ, Bradbury E, Gunther-Murphy G. Large-scale improvement initiatives in healthcare: a scan of the literature. J Healthc Quality. 2013;35:30–40.
12. Atkinson J, Patel C, Wilson A, Mittman B, Dominello A, Brown B. Drivers of large-scale change in complex health systems: an evidence check rapid review brokered by the Sax Institute for the NSW Agency for Clinical Innovation. 2013 [cited 1 May 2016]. Sydney: Sax Institute. Available: https://www.saxinstitute.org.au/wp-content/uploads/Drivers-of-large-scale-change-in-complex-health-systems-a-rapid-review.pdf.
13. Best A, Greenhalgh T, Lewis S, Saul SE, Carroll S, Bitz J. Large-system transformation in health care: a realist review. Millbank Q. 2012;90:421–456.
14. Medical Research Council. A framework for the development and evaluation of RCTs for complex interventions to improve health. 2000 Apr [cited 1 May 2016]. London: Medical Research Council. Available: http://www.mrc.ac.uk/documents/pdf/rcts-for-complex-interventions-to-improve-health/.
15. Mackenzie M, O’Donnell C, Halliday E, Sridharan S, Platt S. Do health improvement programmes fit with MRC guidance on evaluating complex interventions? BMJ. 2010;340: c185. doi: 10.1136/bmj.c185 20123834
16. Hawe P, Shiell A, Riley T. Theorising interventions as events in systems. Am J Community Psychol. 2009;43:267–276. doi: 10.1007/s10464-009-9229-9 19390961
17. NSW Health. Health Chronic Disease Management Program. 2015 Feb 26 [cited 1 May 2016]. Available: http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/cdm/pages/default.aspx.
18. Stuart E. Matching methods for causal inference: a review and a look forward. Stat Sci. 2010;25:1–21. 20871802
19. Bergstralh E, Kosanke L. Gmatch [SAS macro]. 2004 Apr 7 [cited 1 May 2016]. Available: http://www.mayo.edu/research/documents/gmatchsas/doc-10027248.
20. Austin P. An introduction to propensity score methods for reducing the effects of confounding in observational studies. Multivariate Behav Res. 2011;46:399–424. 21818162
21. Wei LJ, Lin DY, Weissfeld L. Regression analysis of multivariate incomplete failure time data by modeling marginal distributions. J Am Stat Assoc. 1989;84:1065–1073.
22. Garling P. Final report of the Special Commission of Inquiry: acute care services in NSW public hospitals. 2008 Nov 27 [cited 1 May 2016]. Sydney: NSW Government. Available: http://www.dpc.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/34194/Overview_-_Special_Commission_Of_Inquiry_Into_Acute_Care_Services_In_New_South_Wales_Public_Hospitals.pdf.
23. Department of Health and Ageing. Building a 21st century primary health care system—Australia’s first national primary health care strategy. 2010 [cited 1 May 2016]. Available: http://upperhumepcp.com.au/documents/NationalPrimaryHealthCareStrategy.pdf.
24. Steventon A, Bardsley M, Billings J, Georghiou T, Lewis G. An evaluation of the impact of community-based interventions on hospital use. 2011 Mar 19 [cited 1 May 2016]. London: Nuffield Trust. Available: http://www.nuffieldtrust.org.uk/publications/evaluation-impact-community-based-interventions-hospital-use.
25. Wennberg DE, Marr A, Lang L, O’Malley S, Bennett G. A randomized trial of a telephone care-management strategy. N Engl J Med. 2010 Sep 23;363:1245–1255. doi: 10.1056/NEJMsa0902321 20860506
26. Australian Healthcare Associates. Evaluation of the Council of Australian Governments Long Stay Older Patients (COAG LSOP) Victorian Initiative. 2011 Apr [cited 1 May 2016]. Available: https://www2.health.vic.gov.au/Api/downloadmedia/%7B9EE8F8E7-6C83-4105-BBA0-72F26772DE40%7D.
27. RAND Europe, Ernst & Young. National evaluation of the Department of Health’s integrated care pilots. 2011 Mar [cited 1 May 2016]. Available: http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/technical_reports/2012/RAND_TR1164.pdf.