1. HueckCJ (1998) Type III protein secretion systems in bacterial pathogens of animals and plants. Microbiology and molecular biology reviews 62: 379–433.
2. DeanP (2011) Functional domains and motifs of bacterial type III effector proteins and their roles in infection. FEMS microbiology reviews 35: 1100–25.
3. ButtnerD, HeSY (2009) Type III protein secretion in plant pathogenic bacteria. Plant physiology 150: 1656–64.
4. SotoMJ, SanjuanJ, OlivaresJ (2006) Rhizobia and plant-pathogenic bacteria: common infection weapons. Microbiology 152: 3167–74.
5. VenkatesanMM, GoldbergMB, RoseDJ, GrotbeckEJ, BurlandV, et al. (2001) Complete DNA sequence and analysis of the large virulence plasmid of Shigella exneri. Infection and immunity 69: 3271–85.
6. MaurelliAT, BaudryB, d'HautevilleH, HaleTL, SansonettiPJ (1985) Cloning of plasmid DNA sequences involved in invasion of HeLa cells by Shigella flexneri. Infection and immunity 49: 164–71.
7. MenardR, SansonettiPJ, ParsotC (1993) Nonpolar mutagenesis of the ipa genes defines IpaB, IpaC, and IpaD as effectors of Shigella flexneri entry into epithelial cells. Journal of bacteriology 175: 5899–906.
8. VeenendaalAK, HodgkinsonJL, SchwarzerL, StabatD, ZenkSF, et al. (2007) The type III secretion system needle tip complex mediates host cell sensing and translocon insertion. Molecular microbiology 63: 1719–30.
9. MenardR, SansonettiP, ParsotC (1994) The secretion of the Shigella flexneri Ipa invasins is activated by epithelial cells and controlled by IpaB and IpaD. The EMBO journal 13: 5293–302.
10. TroisfontainesP, CornelisGR (2005) Type III secretion: more systems than you think. Physiology 20: 326–39.
11. CornelisGR (2006) The type III secretion injectisome. Nature reviews Microbiology 4: 811–25.
12. BlockerA, JouihriN, LarquetE, GounonP, EbelF, et al. (2001) Structure and composition of the Shigella flexneri “needle complex”, a part of its type III secreton. Molecular microbiology 39: 652–63.
13. HodgkinsonJL, HorsleyA, StabatD, SimonM, JohnsonS, et al. (2009) Three-dimensional reconstruction of the Shigella T3SS transmembrane regions reveals 12-fold symmetry and novel features throughout. Nature structural & molecular biology 16: 477–85.
14. LoquetA, SgourakisNG, GuptaR, GillerK, RiedelD, et al. (2012) Atomic model of the type III secretion system needle. Nature 486: 276–9.
15. DemersJP, SgourakisNG, GuptaR, LoquetA, GillerK, et al. (2013) The common structural architecture of Shigella flexneri and Salmonella typhimurium type three secretion needles. PLoS pathogens 9: e1003245.
16. MichielsT, CornelisGR (1991) Secretion of hybrid proteins by the Yersinia Yop export system. Journal of bacteriology 173: 1677–85.
17. FeldmanMF, MullerS, WuestE, CornelisGR (2002) SycE allows secretion of YopE-DHFR hybrids by the Yersinia enterocolitica type III Ysc system. Molecular microbiology 46: 1183–97.
18. LeeVT, SchneewindO (2002) Yop fusions to tightly folded protein domains and their effects on Yersinia enterocolitica type III secretion. Journal of bacteriology 184: 3740–5.
19. SorgJA, BlaylockB, SchneewindO (2006) Secretion signal recognition by YscN, the Yersinia type III secretion ATPase. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 103: 16490–5.
20. RiordanKE, SorgJA, BerubeBJ, SchneewindO (2008) Impassable YscP substrates and their impact on the Yersinia enterocolitica type III secretion pathway. Journal of bacteriology 190: 6204–16.
21. GhoshP (2004) Process of protein transport by the type III secretion system. Microbiology and molecular biology reviews 68: 771–95.
22. EdgrenT, ForsbergA, RosqvistR, Wolf-WatzH (2012) Type III secretion in Yersinia: injectisome or not? PLoS pathogens 8: e1002669.
23. NurekiO, ShirouzuM, HashimotoK, IshitaniR, TeradaT, et al. (2002) An enzyme with a deep trefoil knot for the active-site architecture. Acta crystallographica Section D, Biological crystallography 58: 1129–37.
24. ZychlinskyA, KennyB, MenardR, PrevostMC, HollandIB, et al. (1994) IpaB mediates macrophage apoptosis induced by Shigella flexneri. Molecular microbiology 11: 619–27.
25. SenerovicL, TsunodaSP, GoosmannC, BrinkmannV, ZychlinskyA, et al. (2012) Spontaneous formation of IpaB ion channels in host cell membranes reveals how Shigella induces pyroptosis in macrophages. Cell death & disease 3: e384.
26. JungblutPR, SeifertR (1990) Analysis by high-resolution two-dimensional electrophoresis of differentiation-dependent alterations in cytosolic protein pattern of HL-60 leukemic cells. Journal of biochemical and biophysical methods 21: 47–58.
27. Zimny-ArndtU, SchmidM, AckermannR, JungblutPR (2009) Classical proteomics: two-dimensional electrophoresis/MALDI mass spectrometry. Methods in molecular biology 492: 65–91.
28. SansonettiPJ, KopeckoDJ, FormalSB (1982) Involvement of a plasmid in the invasive ability of Shigella flexneri. Infection and immunity 35: 852–60.
29. HendersonIR, Navarro-GarciaF, DesvauxM, FernandezRC, Ala'AldeenD (2004) Type V protein secretion pathway: the autotransporter story. Microbiology and molecular biology reviews : MMBR 68: 692–744.
30. SchroederGN, HilbiH (2008) Molecular pathogenesis of Shigella spp.: controlling host cell signaling, invasion, and death by type III secretion. Clinical microbiology reviews 21: 134–56.
31. BarzuS, NatoF, RouyreS, MazieJC, SansonettiP, et al. (1993) Characterization of B-cell epitopes on IpaB, an invasion-associated antigen of Shigella flexneri: identification of an immunodominant domain recognized during natural infection. Infection and immunity 61: 3825–31.
32. GalanJE, Wolf-WatzH (2006) Protein delivery into eukaryotic cells by type III secretion machines. Nature 444: 567–73.
33. DatsenkoKA, WannerBL (2000) One-step inactivation of chromosomal genes in Escherichia coli K-12 using PCR products. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 97: 6640–5.
34. SansonettiPJ, RyterA, ClercP, MaurelliAT, MounierJ (1986) Multiplication of Shigella flexneri within HeLa cells: lysis of the phagocytic vacuole and plasmid-mediated contact hemolysis. Infection and immunity 51: 461–9.
35. LunelliM, LokareddyRK, ZychlinskyA, KolbeM (2009) IpaB-IpgC interaction defines binding motif for type III secretion translocator. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 106: 9661–6.
36. AbramoffMD, MagalhaesPJ, RamSJ (2004) Image Processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics International 11: 36–42.
37. Team RDC (2003) R: a language and environment for statistical computing.
38. GentlemanRC, CareyVJ, BatesDM, BolstadB, DettlingM, et al. (2004) Bioconductor: open software development for computational biology and bioinformatics. Genome biology 5: R80.