1. Watchko JF, Tiribelli C. Bilirubin-induced neurologic damage-mechanisms and management approaches. N Engl J Med 2013; 369: 2021−2030.
2. Wagner KH, Wallner M., Molzer C et al. Looking to the horizon: the role of bilirubin in the development and prevention of age-related chronic diseases. Clin Sci 2015; 129: 1−25.
3. Novotny L, Vitek L. Inverse relationship between serum bilirubin and atherosclerosis in men: a meta-analysis of published studies. Exp Biol Med 2003; 228: 568−571.
4. Jiraskova A, Novotny J, Novotny L et al. Association of serum bilirubin and promoter variations in HMOX1 and UGT1A1 genes with sporadic colorectal cancer. Int J Cancer 2012; 131: 1549−1555.
5. Lenicek M, Duricova D, Hradsky O et al. The relationship between serum bilirubin and Crohn's disease. Inflamm Bowel Dis 2014; 20: 481−487.
6. Vitek L, Muchova L, Jancova E et al. Association of systemic lupus erythematosus with low serum bilirubin levels. Scand J Rheumatol 2010; 39: 480−484.
7. Vitek L, Novotna M, Lenicek M et al. Serum bilirubin levels and UGT1A1 promoter variations in patients with schizophrenia. Psychiatry Res 2010; 178: 449−450.
8. Lin JP, Vitek L, Schwertner HA. Serum bilirubin and genes controlling bilirubin concentrations as biomarkers for cardiovascular disease. Clin Chem 2010; 56: 1535−1543.
9. Zucker SD, Horn PS, Sherman KE. Serum bilirubin levels in the US population: Gender effect and inverse correlation with colorectal cancer. Hepatology 2004; 40: 827−835.
10. Stocker R, Keaney JF. Role of oxidative modifications in atherosclerosis. Phys Rev 2004; 84: 1381−1478.
11. Wu TW, Fung KP, Yang CC. Unconjugated bilirubin inhibits the oxidation of human low density lipoprotein better than Trolox. Life Sci 1994; 54: 477−481.
12. Frei B, Stocker R, Ames BN. Antioxidant defenses and lipid peroxidation in human blood plasma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1988; 85: 9748−9752.
13. Jangi S, Otterbein L, Robson S. The molecular basis for the immunomodulatory activities of unconjugated bilirubin. Int J Biochem Cell Biol 2013; 45: 2843−2851.
14. Basiglio CL, Arriaga SM, Pelusa F et al. Complement activation and disease: protective effects of hyperbilirubinaemia. Clin Sci 2010; 118: 99−113.
15. Vitek L, Malikova I, Kvasnicka J et al. Relationship between serum bilirubin and markers of inflammation and oxidative stress. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2007; 22: A235.
16. Nejedla Z. The development of immunological factors in infants with hyperbilirubinemia. Pediatrics 1970; 45: 102−104.
17. Rocuts F, Zhang X, Yan J et al. Bilirubin promotes de novo generation of T regulatory cells. Cell Transplant 2010; 19: 443−451.
18. Mazzone GL, Rigato I, Ostrow JD et al. Bilirubin inhibits the TNF alpha-related induction of three endothelial adhesion molecules. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2009; 386: 338−344.
19. Hansen TW, Mathiesen SB, Walaas SI. Bilirubin has widespread inhibitory effects on protein phosphorylation. Pediatr Res 1996; 39: 1072−1077.
20. Schwertner HA, Jackson WG, Tolan G. Association of low serum concentration of bilirubin with increased risk of coronary artery disease. Clin Chem 1994; 40: 18−23.
21. Schwertner HA, Fischer JR jr. Comparison of various lipid, lipoprotein, and bilirubin combinations as risk factors for predicting coronary artery disease. Atherosclerosis 2000; 150: 381−387.
22. Schwertner HA, Fischer JR. Combined cholesterol and bilirubin tests as risk predictors for coronary artery disease. USA Patent č. 6869802. 2005.
23. Vitek L, Jirsa M, Brodanova M et al. Gilbert syndrome and ischemic heart disease: a protective effect of elevated bilirubin levels. Atherosclerosis 2002; 160: 449−456.
24. Vitek L, Novotny L, Sperl M et al. The inverse association of elevated serum bilirubin levels with subclinical carotid atherosclerosis. Cerebrovasc Dis 2006; 21: 408−414.
25. Wang HY, Han P, Zhang WH et al. Serum bilirubin level is negatively correlated with disease progression of peripheral arterial disease: an observational cohort study. Angiology 2012; 63: 248−253.
26. Cure E, Yuce S, Cicek Y, Cure MC. The effect of Gilbert's syndrome on the dispersions of QT interval and P-wave: an observational study. Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 2013; 13: 559−565.
27. Horsfall LJ, Rait G, Walters K et al. Serum bilirubin and risk of respiratory disease and death. J Am Med Assoc 2011; 305: 691−697.
28. Ghoorah K, De Soyza A, Kunadian V. Increased cardiovascular risk in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and the potential mechanisms linking the two conditions: a review. Cardiol Rev 2013; 21: 196−202.
29. Kayahan H, Sari I, Cullu N et al. Evaluation of early atherosclerosis in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Dig Dis Sci 2012; 57: 2137−2143.
30. Scalzi LV, Ballou SP, Park JY et al. Cardiovascular disease risk awareness in systemic lupus erythematosus patients. Arthritis Rheum 2008; 58: 1458−1464.
31. Fischman D, Valluri A, Gorrepati VS et al. Bilirubin as a protective factor for rheumatoid arthritis: An NHANES study of 2003−2006 data. J Clin Med Res 2010; 2: 256−260.
32. Garcia-Gomez C, Bianchi M, de la Fuente D et al. Inflammation, lipid metabolism and cardiovascular risk in rheumatoid arthritis: A qualitative relationship? World J Orthop 2014; 5: 304−311.
33. Balta S, Balta I, Mikhailidis DP et al. Bilirubin levels and their association with carotid intima media thickness and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein in patients with psoriasis vulgaris. Am J Clin Dermatol 2014; 15: 137−142.
34. Coumbe AG, Pritzker MR, Duprez DA. Cardiovascular risk and psoriasis: beyond the traditional risk factors. Am J Med 2014; 127: 12−18.
35. Unsal C, Oran M, Tureli HO et al. Detection of subclinical atherosclerosis and diastolic dysfunction in patients with schizophrenia. Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat 2013; 9: 1531−1537.
36. Peng F, Deng X, Yu Y et al. Serum bilirubin concentrations and multiple sclerosis. J Clin Neurosci 2011; 18: 1355−1359.
37. Christiansen CF, Christensen S, Farkas DK et al. Risk of arterial cardiovascular diseases in patients with multiple sclerosis: a population-based cohort study. Neuroepidemiology 2010; 35: 267−274.
38. Bian LQ, Li RZ, Zhang ZY et al. Effects of total bilirubin on the prevalence of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women without potential liver disease. J Bone Miner Metab 2013; 31: 637−643.
39. Anagnostis P, Karagiannis A, Kakafika AI et al. Atherosclerosis and osteoporosis: age-dependent degenerative processes or related entities? Osteoporosis Int 2009; 20: 197−207.
40. Breslin E, Kaufmann A, Quenby S. Bilirubin influences the clinical presentation of pre-eclampsia. Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 2013; 170: 111−113.
41. McDonald SD, Ray J, Teo K et al. Measures of cardiovascular risk and subclinical atherosclerosis in a cohort of women with a remote history of preeclampsia. Atherosclerosis 2013; 229: 234−239.
42. Bulmer AC, Ried K, Blanchfield JT, Wagner KH. The anti-mutagenic properties of bile pigments. Mutat Res 2008; 658: 28−41.
43. Wallner M, Antl N, Rittmannsberger B et al. Anti-genotoxic potential of bilirubin in vivo: damage to DNA in hyperbilirubinemic human and animal models. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 2013; 6: 1056−1063.
44. Molzer C, Huber H, Steyrer A et al. Interaction between TNFone and tetrapyrroles may account for their anti-genotoxic effects – a novel mechanism for DNA-protection. J Porph Phthalocyan 2013; 17: 1157−1166.
45. Temme EHM, Zhang J, Schouten EG, Kesteloot H. Serun bilirubin and 10-year mortality risk in a Belgian population. Cancer Causes Control 2001; 12: 887−894.
46. Shatalova EG, Walther SE, Favorova OO et al. Genetic polymorphisms in human SULT1A1 and UGT1A1 genes associate with breast tumor characteristics: a case-series study. Breast Cancer Res 2005; 7: R909−R921.
47. Ajja R, Lee DC, Sui X et al. Usefulness of serum bilirubin and cardiorespiratory fitness as predictors of mortality in men. Am.J Cardiol 2011; 108: 1438−1442.
48. Fulks M, Stout RL, Dolan VF. Mortality associated with bilirubin levels in insurance applicants. J Insur Med 2009; 41: 49−53.
49. Horsfall LJ, Nazareth I, Pereira SP, Petersen I. Gilbert's syndrome and the risk of death: a population-based cohort study. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2013; 28: 1643−1647.
50. McCarty MF. ''Iatrogenic Gilbert syndrome''- a strategy for reducing vascular and cancer risk by increasing plasma unconjugated bilirubin. Med Hypotheses 2007; 69: 974−994.
51. McCallum L, Panniyammakal J, Hastie CE et al. Longitudinal Blood Pressure Control, Long-Term Mortality, and Predictive Utility of Serum Liver Enzymes and Bilirubin in Hypertensive Patients. Hypertension 2015; 66: 37−43.
52. Li Y, Meng SY, Meng CC et al. Decreased serum bilirubin is associated with arterial stiffness in men. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis 2013; 23: 375−381.
53. Yoshino S, Hamasaki S, Ishida S et al. Relationship between bilirubin concentration, coronary endothelial function, and inflammatory stress in overweight patients. J Atheroscler Thromb 2011; 18: 403−412.
54. Andersson C, Weeke P, Fosbol EL et al. Acute effect of weight loss on levels of total bilirubin in obese, cardiovascular high-risk patients: an analysis from the lead-in period of the Sibutramine Cardiovascular Outcome trial. Metabolism 2009; 58: 1109−1115.
55. Bulmer AC, Verkade HJ, Wagner KH. Bilirubin and beyond: a review of lipid status in Gilbert's syndrome and its relevance to cardiovascular disease protection. Prog Lipid Res 2013; 52: 193−205.
56. Dong H, Huang H, Yun X et al. Bilirubin increases insulin sensitivity in leptin-receptor deficient and diet-induced obese mice through suppression of ER stress and chronic inflammation. Endocrinology 2014; 155: 818−828.
57. Guzek M, Jakubowski Z, Bandosz P et al. Inverse association of serum bilirubin with metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance in Polish population. Przegl Epidemiol 2012; 66: 495−501.
58. Vitek L. The role of bilirubin in diabetes, metabolic syndrome, and cardiovascular diseases. Front Pharmacol 2012; 3: 55.
59. Kundur AR, Bulmer AC, Singh I. Unconjugated bilirubin inhibits collagen induced platelet activation. Platelets 2014; 25: 45−50.
60. Cure MC, Cure E, Kirbas A et al. The effects of Gilbert's syndrome on the mean platelet volume and other hematological parameters. Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 2013; 24: 484−488.
61. Tiker F, Gurakan B, Tarcan A. Relationship between serum bilirubin and coagulation test results in 1-month-old infants. Indian J Pediatr 2005; 72: 205−207.
62. Kalousova M, Novotny L, Zima T et al. Decreased levels of advanced glycation end-products in patients with Gilbert syndrome. Cell Mol Biol 2005; 51: 387−392.
63. Lanone S, Bloc S, Foresti R et al. Bilirubin decreases nos2 expression via inhibition of NAD(P)H oxidase: implications for protection against endotoxic shock in rats. FASEB J 2005; 19: 1890−1892.
64. Wallner M, Marculescu R, Doberer D et al. Protection from age-related increase in lipid biomarkers and inflammation contributes to cardiovascular protection in Gilbert's syndrome. Clin Sci 2013; 125: 257−264.
65. Mazzone GL, Rigato I, Tiribelli C. Unconjugated bilirubin modulates nitric oxide production via iNOS regulation. Biosci Trends 2010; 4: 244−248.
66. Keshavan P, Deem TL, Schwemberger SJ et al. Unconjugated bilirubin inhibits VCAM-1-mediated transendothelial leukocyte migration. J Immunol 2005; 174: 3709−3718.
67. Stoeckius M, Erat A, Fujikawa T et al. Essential roles of Raf/Extracellular signal-Regulated Kinase/Mitogen-activated Protein Kinase pathway, YY1, and Ca2+ influx in growth arrest of human vascular smooth muscle cells by bilirubin. J Biol Chem 2012; 287: 15418−15426.
68. Cesaratto L, Calligaris SD, Vascotto C et al. Bilirubin-induced cell toxicity involves PTEN activation through an APE1/Ref-1-dependent pathway. J Mol Med 2007; 85: 1099−1112.
69. Mazzone GL, Rigato I, Ostrow JD, Tiribelli C. Bilirubin effect on endothelial adhesion molecules expression is mediated by the NF-kappaB signaling pathway. Biosci Trends 2009; 3: 151−157.