1. Mettlin CJ and Murphy GP: Why is the prostate cancer death rate declining in the United States? Cancer 82: 249-251, 1997.
2. Sheikh S and Bullock C: Rise and fall of radical prostatectomy rates from 1989 to 1996. Urology 59: 378-382, 2002.
3. Hull GW, Rabbani F, Abbas F, Wheeler TM, Kattan MW and Scardino PT: Cancer control with radical prostatectomy alone in 1,000 consecutive patients. J Urol 167: 528, 2002.
4. Partin AW, Kattan MW, Subong EN, Walsh PC, Wojno KJ, Oesterling JE et al: Combination of PSA, clinical stage and Gleason score to predict pathological stage of localized prostate cancer, a multiinstitutional update. JAMA 277: 1445, 1997.
5. Zagars GK, Pollack A and Von Eschenback AC: Prognostic factors for clinically localized prostate carcinoma: analysis of 938 patients irradiated in the PSA era. Cancer 79: 1370, 1997.
6. Kattan MW, Zelefsky MJ, Kupelian PA, Scardino PT, Fuks Z and Leibel SA: Pretreatment nomogram for predicting the outcome of three-dimensional conformal radiotherapy in prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 18: 3352, 2000.
7. Kattan MW, Eastham JA, stapleton AM, Wheeler TM and Scardino PT: A pre-operative nomogram for disease recurrence following radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst 90: 766, 1998.
8. Graefen M, Noldus J, Pichlmeier U, Haese A, Hammerer PG, Fernandez S et al: Early PSA relapse after radical retropubic prostatectomy: prediction on the basis of preoperative tumor characteristics. Eur Urol 36: 21-30, 1999.
9. Graefen M, Haese A, Pichlmeier U, Hammerer PG, Noldus J, Butz K et al: A validated strategy for side specific prediction of organ confined prostate cancer: a tool to select for nerve sparing radical prostatectomy. J Urol 165: 857-863, 2001.
10. Quinn DI, Henshall SM, Haynes AM, Brenner PC, Kooner R, Golovsky D et al: Prognostic significance of pathologic features in localized prostate cancer treated with radical prostatectomy: implication for staging systems and predictive models. J Clin Oncol 19: 3692-3705, 2001.
11. Babaian RJ, Troncoso P, Bhadkamkar VA and Johnston DA: Analysis of clinicopathologic factors predicting outcome after radical prostatectomy. Cancer 91: 1414-1422, 2001.
12. Stamey TA, Villers AA, McNeal JE, Link PC and Freiha FS: Positive surgical margins at radical prostatectomy: importance of the apical dissection. J Urol 143: 1166, 1990.
13. van den Ouden D, Bentvelsen FM, Boeve ER and Schroeder FH: Positive margins after radical prostatectomy: correlation with local recurrence and distant progression. Br J Urol 72: 489, 1993.
14. Zietman AL, Edelstein RA, Coen JJ, Babayan RK and Krane RJ: Radical prostatectomy for adenocarcinoma of the prostate: the influence of preoperative and pathologic findings on biochemical disease-free outcome. Urology 43: 828, 1993.
15. Zincke H, Oesterling JE, Blute ML, Bergstralh EJ, Myers RP and Barrett DM: Long-term (15 years) results after radical prostatectomy for clinically localized (stage T2c or lower) prostate cancer. J Urol 154: 1850, 1994.
16. Trapasso JG, Dekernion JB, Smith RB and Dorey F: The incidence and significance of detectable levels of serum PSA after radical prostatectomy. J Urol 152: 1821, 1994.
17. Catalona WJ and Smith DS: Cancer recurrence and survival rates after anatomic radical retropubic prostatectomy for prostate cancer: intermediate-term results. J Urol 160: 2428, 1998.
18. Pound CR, Partin AW, Epstein JI and Walsh PC: PSA after anatomic radical retropubic prostatectomy. Patterns of recurrence and cancer control. Urol Clin North Am 24: 395, 1997.
19. Kattan MW, Wheeler TM and Scardino PT: Postoperative nomogram for disease recurrence after radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 17: 1499, 1999.
20. Pound CR, Partin AW, Eisenberger MA, Chan DW, Pearson JD and Walsh PC: Natural history of progression after PSA elevation following radical prostatectomy. JAMA 281: 1591, 1999.
21. Ornstein DK, Oh J, Herschman JD and Andriole GL: Evaluation and management of the man who has failed primary curative therapy for prostate cancer. Urol Clin North Am 25: 591, 1998.
22. Boccon-Gobod L, Bertaccini A, Bono A, Dev Sarmah B, Holtl W, Mottet N et al: Management of locally advanced prostate cancer: a European consensus. Int J Clin Pract 57(3): 187-194, 2003.
23. Sullivan LD: Controversies in the management of clinical T3 carcinoma of the prostate. Can J Urol 1(3): 39-48, 1994.
24. van den Ouden D and Schroeder FH: Management of locally advanced prostate cancer. World J Urol 18: 194-203, 2000.
25. Morgan WR, Bergstralh EJ and Zincke H: Long-term evaluation of radical prostatectomy as treatment in clinical stage C (T3) prostate cancer. Urology 41(2): 113-120, 1993.
26. Ward JF, Slezak JM, Blute ML, Bergstralh EJ and Zincke H: radical prostatectomy for clinically advanced (cT3) prostate cancer since the advent of PSA testing: 15-year outcome. BJU Int 95(6): 751-756, 2005.
27. Allison RR, Schulsinger A, Vongtama V, Grant P, Shin KH and Huben R: If you „watch and wait“, prostate cancer may progress dramatically. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 39(5): 1019-1023, 1997.
28. Perez CA, Hanks GE, Leibel SA, Zietman AL, Fuks Z and Lee WR: Localized carcinoma of the prostate (stage T1B, T2 and T3). Review of management with external beam radiation therapy. Cancer 72(11): 3156-3173, 1993.
29. Arcangeli G, Micheli A, Arcangeli G, Pansadoro V, De paula F, Giannarelli D et al: Definitive radiation therapy for localized prostate adenocarcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 20(3): 439-446, 1991.
30. Goluboff ET and Benson MC: External beam radiation therapy does not offer long-term control of prostate cancer. Urol Clin N Am 23: 617, 1996.
31. Lawton CA, Winter K, Murray K, Machtay M, Mesic JB, Hanks GE et al: Update results of tha phase III radiation therapy oncology group (RTOG) trial 85-31 evaluating the potential benefit of androgen suppression following standard radiation therapy for unfavourable prognosis carcinoma of the prostate. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 49(4): 937-946, 2001.
32. Bolla M, Collette L, Blank L, Warde P et al: Long-term results with immediate androgen suppression and external irradiation in patients with locally advanced prostate cancer (an EORTC study): a phase III randomized trial. Lancet 360: 103-108, 2002.
33. van den Ouden D, Bentvelsen FM, Boevč ER and Schroeder FH: Positive margins after radical prostatectomy: correlation with local recurrence and distant progression. Br J Urol 72: 489, 1993.
34. Aus G, Abbou CC, Pacik D, Schmid HP, Van Poppel H, Wolff JM et al: EAU working group on oncological urology. EAU Guidelines on prostate cancer. Eur Urol 40: 97-101, 2001.
35. Lerner SE, Blute ML and Zincke H: Extended experience with radical prostatectomy for clinical stage T3 prostate cancer: outcome and contemporary morbidity. J Urol 154: 1447, 1995.
36. Reiner WG and Walsh PC: An anatomical approch to the surgical management of the dorsal vein and Santorini’s during radical retropublic surgery. J Urol 121(2): 198-200, 1979.
37. van den Ouden D, Davidson PJT, Hop W and Schroder FH: Radical prostatectomy as monotherapy for locally advanced (stage T3) prostate cancer. J Urol 151: 646, 1994.
38. Gerber GS, Thisted RA, Chodak GW, Shroder FH, Frohmuller HGW, Scardino PT et al: Results of radical prostatectomy in men with locally advanced prostate cancer: multi-institution pooled analysis. Eur Urol 32: 385-390, 1997.
39. van den Ouden D, Hop WCJ and Schroder FH: Progression in and survival of patients with locally advanced prostate cancer (T3) treated with radical prostatectomy as monotherapy. J Urol 160: 1392-1397, 1998.
40. Schmid HP, mihatsch MJ, Hering F and Rutishauser G: Impact of minimal lymph node metastasis on long-term prognosis after radical prostatectomy. Eur Urol 31: 11, 1997.
41. Van Poppel H, Goethuys H, Callewaert P, Vanuytsel L, Van de Voorde W and Baert L: Radical prostatectomy can provide a cure for well-selected clinical stage T3 prostate cancer. Eur Urol 38: 372-379, 2000.
42. Martinez de la Riva SI, Lopez-Tomasety JB, Dominguez RM, Cruz EA and Blanco PS: Radical prostatectomy as monotherapy for locally advanced prostate cancer (T3a): 12 years follow-up. Arch Esp Urol 57(7): 679-692, 2004.
43. Syrigos KN, Karapanagiotou E and Harrington KJ: Prostate cancer in the elderly. Anticancer Res 25: 4527-4534, 2005.
44. Lu-Yao GL, Potosky AL, Albertsen PC et al: Follow-up prostate cancer treatments after radical prostatectomy: a population based study. J Natl Cancar Inst 88: 166-172, 1996.
45. Christopher K, Payne I, Joseph W et al: Genitourinary problems in the elderly. Surg Clin N Am 74: 401-407, 1994.
46. Iselin CE, Robertson JE and Paulson DF: Radical peneat prostatectomy: oncological outcome during a 20-year period. J Urol 161: 163, 1999.
47. Prezioso D, Lotti T, Polito M and Montironi R: Neoadjuvant hormone treatment with leuprolide acetate depot 3.75 mg and cyproterone acetate, before radical prostatectomy: a randomized study. Urol Int 72(3): 189-195, 2004.
48. Witjes WP, Schulman CC and Debruyne FM: Preliminary results of a prospective randomized study comparing radical prostatectomy associated with neoadjuvant hormonal combination therapy in T2-3 N0 M0 prostate carcinoma. Urology 49: 65, 1997.
49.Cookson MS, Sogani PC, Russo P, Sheinfeld J, Herr H, Dalbagni G, Reuter VE, Begg CB and Fair WR: Pathological staging and biochemical recurrence after neoadjuvant androgen deprivation therapy in combination with radical prostatectomy. Br J Urol 79(3): 432-38, 1997.
50. Soloway MS, Pareek K, Sharifi R, Wajsman Z, McLeod D and Wood DP: The Lupron Depot Neoadjuvant Prostate Cancer Study Group. Neoadjuvant androgen ablation before radical prostatectomy in cT2bN0M0 prostate cancer: 5 year results. J Urol 167: 112, 2002.
51. Fair WR, Cookson MS, Stroumbakis N, Cohen D, Aprikian AG, Wang Y: The indication, rationale and results of neoadjuvant androgen deprivation in the treatment of prostatic cancer: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center results. Urology 49: 46, 1997.
52. Van Poppel H, De Ridder D, Elgamal AA, Van De Voorde W, Werbrouk P and Ackaert K: Neoadjuvant hormonal therapy before radical prostatectomy decreases the number of positive surgical margins in stage T2 prostate cancer: interim results of a prospective randomized trial. The Belgium Uro-Oncological Study Group. J Urol 154: 429, 1995.
53. Schulman CC, Debruyne FM, Forster G, Selvaggi FP, Zlotta AR and Witjes WP: 4 year follow up results of a European prospective randomized study on neoadjuvant hormonal therapy prior to radical prostatectomy in T2-3N0M0 prostate cancer: European Study Group on Neoadjuvant Treatment of Prostate Cancer. Eur Urol 38: 706, 2000.
54. Klotz LH, Goldenberg SL, Jewitt M, Barkin J, Chetner M and Fradet Y: CUOG randomized trial of neoadjuvant androgen ablation before radical prostatectomy: 36 month post-treatment PSA results: Canadian Urologic Oncology Group. Urology 53: 757, 1999.
55. Gleave ME, Goldenberg SL, Chin JL, Warner J, Saad F and Klotz LH: The Canadian Uro-Oncology Group. Randomized comparative study of 3 vs. 8 months neoadjuvant hormonal therapy before radical prostatectomy: biochemical and pathological effects. J Urol 166: 500, 2001.
56. Gleave ME et al: Randomized comparative study of 3 vs. 8 months of neoadjuvant hormonal therapy prior to radical prostatectomy: 3 year PSA recurrence rates. J Urol 169: 179, 2003.
57. Soloway MS, Sharifi R, Wajsman Z, McLeod D, Wood DP and Puras-Baez A: Randomized prospective study comparing radical prostatectomy preceded by androgen blockade in clinical stage B2 (T2bNxM0) prostate cancer. The Lupron Depot Neoadjuvant Prostate Cancer Study Group. J Urol 154: 424, 1995.
58. Goldenberg SL, Klotz LH, Srigley J, Jewett MA, Mador D and Fradet Y: Randomized, prospective, controlled study comparing radical prostatectomy alone and in neoadjuvant androgen withdrawal in the treatment of localized prostate cancer. Canadian Urological Oncology Group. J Urol 156: 873, 1996.
59. Witjes WP, Schulman CC and Debruyne FM: Preliminary results of a prospective randomized study comparing radical prostatectomy associated with neoadjuvant hormonal combination therapy in T2-3 N0 M0 prostate carcinoma. Urology 49: 65, 1997.
60. Bazinet M, Zheng W, Begin LR, Aprikian AG, Karakiewicz PI and Elhilali MM: Morphologic changes induced by neoadjuvant androgen ablation may result in underdetection of positive surgical margins and capsular involvement by prostatic adenocarcinoma. Urology 49: 721, 1997.
61. Powell IJ, Tangen CM, Miller GJ, Lowe BA, Haas G, Carroll PR, Osswald MB, DeVere White R, Thompson IM Jr and Crawford ED: Neoadjuvant therapy before radical prostatectomy for clinical T3/T4 carcinoma of the prostate: 5 years follow up, phase II Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG) study 9109. J Urol 168: 2016-19, 2002.
62.Schow DA, Renfer LG, Rozanski TA and Thompson IM: Prevalence of hot flushes during and after neoadjuvant hormonal therapy for localized prostate cancer. South Med J 91: 855, 1998.
63. Schulman CC and Sassine AM: Neoadjuvant hormonal deprivation before radical prostatectomy. Clin Invest Med 16: 523, 1993.
64. Witjes WP, Schulman CC and Debruyne FM: Preliminary results of a prospective randomized study comparing radical prostatectomy associated wiyh neoadjuvant hormonal combination therapy in T2-3 N0 M0 prostate carcinoma. Urology 49: 65, 1997.
65. Debruyne FM, Witjes WP, Schulman CC, van Chang PJ and Oosterhof GO: A multicentre trial of combined neoadjuvant androgen blockade with Zoladex and flutamide prior to radical prostatectomy in prostate cancer. Tha European Study Group on Neoadjuvant Treatment. Eur Urol 26(suppl 1): 4, 1994.
66. Van Poppel H, De Ridder D, Elgamal AA, Van De Voorde W, Werbrouk P and Ackaert K: Neoadjuvant hormonal therapy before radical prostatectomy decreases the number of positive surgical margins in stage T2 prostate cancer: interim results of a prospective randomized trial. The Belgium Uro-Oncological Study Group. J Urol 154: 429, 1995.
67. Fair WR, Cookson MS, Stroumbakis N, Cohen D, Aprikian AG and Wang Y: The indication, rationale and results of neoadjuvant androgen deprivation in the treatment of prostatic cancer: Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center results. Urology 49: 46, 1997.
68. Amling CL, Leibovich BC, Lerner SE, Bergstralh EJ, Blute ML, Myers RP et al: Primary surgical therapy for clinical T3 adenocarcinoma of the prostate. Semin Urol Oncol 15(4): 215- 221, 1997.
69. The Veterans Administration Co-operative Urological Research Group: Treatment and survival of patients with cancer of the prostate. Surg Gynecol Obstet 124: 1011-1017, 1967.
70. Messing EM, Manola J, Sarosdy M et al: Immediate hormonal therapy vs. observation after radical prostatectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy for node positive prostate cancer: at 10 years results of EST3886. Proc ASCO 22: 399s, 2004.
71. Choo R, Hruby G, Hong J, Hong E, DeBoer G, Danjoux C et al: Positive resection margin and/or pathologic T3 adenocarcinoma of prostate with undetectable postoperative PSA after radical prostatectomy: to irradiate or not? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 52(3): 674-680, 2002.
72. Bolla M, Van poppel H, Van Chang P, Vekemans K, Rigatti P, De Reijke T et al: Does post-operative radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy improve progression free survival in pT3 N0 prostate cancer? American Society of Clinical Oncology: Annual meeting proceedings 23: 382, 2004.
73. Dominique S and Ravery V: Pre-operative imaging studies is there any necessity? EAU Update Series 3: 72-76, 2005.
74. Cornud F, Hamida K, Flam T, Helenon O, Chertien Y, Thiounn N et al: Endorectal color Doppler sonography and endorectal MR imaging features of nonpalpable prostate cancer: correlation with radical prostatectomy findings. AJR Am J Roentgenol 175(4): 1161-1168, 2000.
75. Wang L, Mullerad M, Chen HN, Eberhardt SC, Kattan MW, Scardino PT et al: Prostate cancer: incremental value of endorectal MR imaging findings for prediction of extracapsular extension. Radiology 232(1): 133-139, 2004.
76. Yu KK, Sheidler J, Hricak H, Vigneron DB, Yu KK, Sokolov DL et al: Prostate cancer: localization with three-dimensional proton MR spectroscopic imaging-clinicopathologic study. Radiology 213(2): 473-480, 1999.
77. Harisinghani MG, Barentsz J, Hann PF, Deserno WM, Tabatabaei S, van de Kaa CH et al: Non invasive detection of clinically occult lymph-node metastases in prostate cancer. N Engl J Med 348(25): 2491-2499, 2003.
78. Reckwits T, Potter SR and Partin AW: Prediction of
locoregional extension and metastatic disease in prostate cancer: a review. World J Urol 18(3): 165-172, 2000.