1. JencksSF, WilliamsMV, ColemanEA (2009) Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program. N Engl J Med 360: 1418–1428.
2. KrumholzHM, LinZ, DryeEE, DesaiMM, HanLF, et al. (2011) An administrative claims measure suitable for profiling hospital performance based on 30-day all-cause readmission rates among patients with acute myocardial infarction. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 4: 243–252.
3. KeenanPS, NormandSL, LinZ, DryeEE, BhatKR, et al. (2008) An administrative claims measure suitable for profiling hospital performance on the basis of 30-day all-cause readmission rates among patients with heart failure. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 1: 29–37.
4. LindenauerPK, NormandSL, DryeEE, LinZ, GoodrichK, et al. (2011) Development, validation, and results of a measure of 30-day readmission following hospitalization for pneumonia. J Hosp Med 6: 142–150.
5. HallMJ, LevantS, DeFrancesCJ (2012) Hospitalization for Congestive Heart Failure: United States, 2000–2010. National Center for Health Statistics Data Brief 108 Available: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db108.htm. Accessed 1 November 2013.
6. NieminenMS, BrutsaertD, DicksteinK, DrexlerH, FollathF, et al. (2006) EuroHeart Failure Survey II (EHFS II): a survey on hospitalized acute heart failure patients: description of population. Eur Heart J 27: 2725–2736.
7. MandelzweigL, BattlerA, BoykoV, BuenoH, DanchinN, et al. (2006) The second Euro Heart Survey on acute coronary syndromes: Characteristics, treatment, and outcome of patients with ACS in Europe and the Mediterranean Basin in 2004. Eur Heart J 27: 2285–2293.
8. American Lung Association (2010) Trends in Pneumonia and Influenza Morbidity and Mortality. American Lung Association Available: http://www.lung.org/finding-cures/our-research/trend-reports/pi-trend-report.pdf. Accessed 1 November 2013.
9. StrangesE, KowlessarN, ElixhauserA (2011) Component of Growth in Inhospital Hospital Costs, 1997–2009. HCUP Statistical Brief 123 Available: http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/reports/statbriefs/sb123.jsp. Accessed 1 July 2013.
10. Howden LM, Meyer JA (2011) Age and Sex Composition: 2010. 2010 Census Briefs: U.S. Census Bureau. Available: http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-03.pdf. Accessed 1 July 2013.
11. DharmarajanK, HsiehAF, LinZ, BuenoH, RossJS, et al. (2013) Diagnoses and timing of 30-day readmissions after hospitalization for heart failure, acute myocardial infarction, or pneumonia. JAMA 309: 355–363.
12. KrumholzHM (2013) Post-hospital syndrome–an acquired, transient condition of generalized risk. N Engl J Med 368: 100–102.
13. Jiang HJ, Weir LM (2010) All-Cause Hospital Readmissions among Non-Elderly Medicaid Patients, 2007. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project Statistical Brief 89. Rockville (MD): Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.
14. SommersACP (2011) Physician visits after hospital discharge: implications for reducing readmissions. National Institute for Health Care Reform
15. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (2013) Readmissions Reduction Program. Available: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Medicare-Fee-for-Service-Payment/AcuteInpatientPPS/Readmissions-Reduction-Program.html. Accessed 1 November 2013.
16. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (2013) Community-based Care Transitions Program. Available: http://innovation.cms.gov/initiatives/CCTP/. Accessed 1 November 2013.
17. HansenLO, YoungRS, HinamiK, LeungA, WilliamsMV (2011) Interventions to reduce 30-day rehospitalization: a systematic review. Ann Intern Med 155: 520–528.
18. ParkerSG, PeetSM, McPhersonA, CannabyAM, AbramsK, et al. (2002) A systematic review of discharge arrangements for older people. Health Technol Assess 6: 1–183.
19. Boutwell A HS (2009) Effective interventions to reduce rehospitalizations: a survey of the published evidence. Cambridge, MA: Institute for Healthcare Improvement.
20. Elixhauser A, Steiner C (2006) Readmissions to U.S. hospitals by diagnosis, 2010: Statistical Brief #153. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Statistical Briefs. Rockville (MD).
21. Pope GC ER, Ash AS, Ayanian JZ, Bates DW, Burstin H, Iezzoni LI, Marcantonio E, Wu B (2000) Diagnostic Cost Group Hierarchical Condition Category Models for Medicare Risk Adjustment. Report Prepared for the Health Care Financing Administration. Waltham, MA: Health Economics Research, Inc.
22. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (2013) Planned Readmission Algorithm. Available: http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Quality-Initiatives-Patient-Assessment-Instruments/HospitalQualityInits/Measure-Methodology.html. Accessed 1 July 2013.
23. DunlaySM, WestonSA, KillianJM, BellMR, JaffeAS, et al. (2012) Thirty-day rehospitalizations after acute myocardial infarction: a cohort study. Ann Intern Med 157: 11–18.
24. JastiH, MortensenEM, ObroskyDS, KapoorWN, FineMJ (2008) Causes and risk factors for rehospitalization of patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis 46: 550–556.
25. O'ConnorCM, MillerAB, BlairJE, KonstamMA, WedgeP, et al. (2010) Causes of death and rehospitalization in patients hospitalized with worsening heart failure and reduced left ventricular ejection fraction: results from Efficacy of Vasopressin Antagonism in Heart Failure Outcome Study with Tolvaptan (EVEREST) program. Am Heart J 159: 841–849 e841.
26. BuiAL, HorwichTB, FonarowGC (2011) Epidemiology and risk profile of heart failure. Nat Rev Cardiol 8: 30–41.
27. GrahamJE, RockwoodK, BeattieBL, EastwoodR, GauthierS, et al. (1997) Prevalence and severity of cognitive impairment with and without dementia in an elderly population. Lancet 349: 1793–1796.
28. TomakaJ, ThompsonS, PalaciosR (2006) The relation of social isolation, loneliness, and social support to disease outcomes among the elderly. J Aging Health 18: 359–384.
29. FultonMM, AllenER (2005) Polypharmacy in the elderly: a literature review. J Am Acad Nurse Pract 17: 123–132.
30. MasoudiFA, BaillieCA, WangY, BradfordWD, SteinerJF, et al. (2005) The complexity and cost of drug regimens of older patients hospitalized with heart failure in the United States, 1998–2001. Arch Intern Med 165: 2069–2076.
31. McCuskerJ, KakumaR, AbrahamowiczM (2002) Predictors of functional decline in hospitalized elderly patients: a systematic review. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 57: M569–577.
32. WitloxJ, EurelingsLS, de JongheJF, KalisvaartKJ, EikelenboomP, et al. (2010) Delirium in elderly patients and the risk of postdischarge mortality, institutionalization, and dementia: a meta-analysis. JAMA 304: 443–451.
33. PassarelliMC, Jacob-FilhoW, FiguerasA (2005) Adverse drug reactions in an elderly hospitalised population: inappropriate prescription is a leading cause. Drugs Aging 22: 767–777.
34. KrumholzHM, WangY, MatteraJA, WangYF, HanLF, et al. (2006) An administrative claims model suitable for profiling hospital performance based on 30-day mortality rates among patients with an acute myocardial infarction. Circulation 113: 1683–1692.
35. LindenauerPK, BernheimSM, GradyJN, LinZ, WangY, et al. (2010) The performance of US hospitals as reflected in risk-standardized 30-day mortality and readmission rates for Medicare beneficiaries with pneumonia. J Hosp Med 5: E12–18.
36. YanY, Birman-DeychE, RadfordMJ, NilasenaDS, GageBF (2005) Comorbidity indices to predict mortality from Medicare data: results from the national registry of atrial fibrillation. Med Care 43: 1073–1077.
37. KiyotaY, SchneeweissS, GlynnRJ, CannuscioCC, AvornJ, et al. (2004) Accuracy of Medicare claims-based diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction: estimating positive predictive value on the basis of review of hospital records. Am Heart J 148: 99–104.