1. Schouten M, Wiersinga WJ, Levi M et al. Inflammation, endothelium, and coagulation in sepsis. J Leukoc Biol 2008; 83: 536–545.
2. Morel O, Toti F, Hugel B et al. Procoagulant microparticles: disrupting the vascular homeostasis equation? Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2006; 26: 2594–2604.
3. Pérez-Casal M, Downey C, Cutillas-Moreno B et al. Microparticle-associated endothelial protein C receptor and the induction of cytoprotective and anti-inflammatory effects. Haematologica 2009; 94: 387–394.
4. Barry OP, Pratico D, Lawson JA et al. Transcellular activation of platelets and endothelial cells by bioactive lipids in platelet microparticles. J Clin Invest 1997; 99: 2118–2127.
5. Mesri M, Altieri DC. Leukocyte microparticles stimulate endothelial cell cytokine release and tissue factor induction in a JNK1 signaling pathway. J Biol Chem 1999; 274: 23111–23118.
6. Mause SF, von Hundelshausen P, Zernecke A et al. Platelet microparticles: a transcellular delivery system for RANTES promoting monocyte recruitment on endothelium. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2005; 25: 1512–1518.
7. Jy W, Mao WW, Horstman L et al. Platelet microparticles bind, activate and aggregate neutrophils in vitro. Blood Cells Mol Dis 1995; 21: 217–231.
8. MacKenzie A, Wilson HL, Kiss-Toth E et al. Rapid secretion of interleukin-1beta by microvesicle shedding. Immunity 2001; 15: 825–835.
9. Canault M, Leroyer AS, Peiretti F et al. Microparticles of human atherosclerotic plaques enhance the shedding of the tumor necrosis factor-alpha converting enzyme/ADAM17 substrates, tumor necrosis factor and tumor necrosis factor receptor-1. Am J Pathol 2007; 171: 1713–1723.
10. Gasser O, Schifferli JA. Activated polymorphonuclear neutrophils disseminate antiinflammatory microparticles by ectocytosis. Blood 2004; 104: 2543–2548.
11. Dalli J, Norling LV, Renshaw D et al. Annexin 1 mediates the rapid anti-inflammatory effects of neutrophil-derived microparticles. Blood 2008; 112: 2512–2519.
12. Abid Hussein MN, Boing AN, Sturk A et al. Inhibition of microparticle release triggers endothelial cell apoptosis and detachment. Thromb Haemost 2007; 98: 1096–1097.
13. Essayagh S, Xuereb JM, Terrisse AD et al. Microparticles from apoptotic monocytes induce transient platelet recruitment and tissue factor expression by cultured human vascular endothelial cells via a redoxsensitive mechanism. Thromb Haemost 2007; 98: 831–837.
14. Satta N, Freyssinet JM, Toti F. The significance of human monocyte thrombomodulin during membrane vesiculation and after stimulation by lipopolysaccharide. Br J Haematol 1997; 96: 534–542.
15. Sabatier F, Roux V, Anfosso F et al. Interaction of endothelial microparticles with monocytic cells in vitro induces tissue factor-dependent procoagulant activity. Blood 2002; 99: 3962–3970.
16. Perez-Casal M, Downey C, Fukudome K et al. Activated protein C induces the release of microparticle-associated endothelial protein C receptor. Blood 2005; 105: 1515–1522.
17. Chironi G, Simon A, Hugel B et al. Circulating leukocyte-derived microparticles predict subclinical atherosclerosis burden in asymptomatic subjects. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2006; 26: 2775–2780.
18. Pirro M, Schillaci G, Bagaglia F et al. Microparticles derived from endotheial progenitor cells in patients at different cardiovascular risk. Atherosclerosis 2008; 197: 757–767.
19. Vidal1 C, Spaulding1 Ch, Picard F et al. Flow Cytometry Detection of Platelet Procoagulant Activity and Microparticles in Patients with Unstable Angina Treated by Percutaneous Coronary Angioplasty and Stent ImplantationThromb Haemost 2001; 86: 784–790.
20. Nomura S. Measuring circulating cell-derived microparticles, J Thromb Haemost 2004; 10: 1847–1848.
21. Miyamoto S, Marcinkiewicz C, Edmunds Jr. LH et al. Measurement of platelet microparticles during cardiopulmonary bypass by means of captured ELISA for GpIIb/IIIa. Thromb Haemost 1998; 80: 225–230.
22. Bidot L, Jy W, Bidot C Jr et al. Microparticle-mediated thrombin generation assay: increased activity in patients with recurrent thrombosis. J Thromb Haemost 2008; 6: 913–919.
23. Shet AS, Aras O, Gupta K et al. Sickle blood contains tissue factor-positive microparticles derived from endothelial cells and monocytes. Blood 2003; 102: 2678–2683.
24. Visentin GP, Ford SE, Scott JP et al. Antibodies from patients with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia/thrombosis are specific for platelet factor 4 complexed with heparin or bound to endothelial cells. J Clin Invest 1994; 93: 81–88.
25. Barry OP, Pratico D, Savani RC et al. Modulation of monocyte-endothelial cell interactions by platelet microparticles. J Clin Invest 1998; 102: 136–144.
26. Furlan M, Robles R, Galbusera M et al. von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and the hemolytic-uremic syndrome. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 1578–1584.
27. Hugel B, Socie G, Vu T et al. Elevated levels of circulating procoagulant microparticles in patients with paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria and aplastic anemia. Blood 1999; 93: 3451–3456.
28. Ogata N, Imaizumi M, Nomura S et al. Increased levels of platelet-derived microparticles in patients with diabetic retinopathy. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2005; 68: 193–201.
29. Omoto S, Nomura S, Shouzu A et al. Significance of platelet-derived microparticles and activated platelets in diabetic nephropathy. Nephron 1999; 81: 271.
30. Omoto S, Nomura S, Shouzu A et al. Detection of monocyte-derived microparticles in patients with Type II diabetes mellitus. Diabetologia 2002; 45: 550–555.
31. Diamant M, Nieuwland R, Pablo RF et al. Elevated numbers of tissue-factor exposing microparticles correlate with components of the metabolic syndrome in uncomplicated type 2 diabetes mellitus. Circulation 2002; 106: 2442–2447.
32. Faure V, Dou L, Sabatier F et al. Elevation of circulating endothelial microparticles in patients with chronic renal failure. J Thromb Haemost 2006; 4: 566–573.
33. Bernal-Mizrachi L, Jy W, Jimenez JJ et al. High levels of circulating endothelial microparticles in patients with acute coronary syndromes. Am Heart J 2003; 145: 962–970.
34. Lee YJ, Jy W, Horstman LL et al. Elevated platelet microparticles in transient ischemic attacks, lacunar infarcts, and multi-infarct dementias. Thromb Res 1993; 72: 295–304.
35. Touat Z, Ollivier V, Dai J et al.Renewal of mural thrombus releases plasma markers and is involved in aortic abdominal aneurysm evolution. Am J Pathol 2006; 168: 1022–1030.
36. Heresi GA, Chirinos JA, Velasquez H et al. Elevated endothelial Microparticles (EMP) and activation markers of platelet and leukocytes in venous thromboembolism (VTE). Blood 2003; 102: 804a.
37. Tan KT, Tayebjee MH, Lynd C et al. Platelet microparticles and soluble P selectin in peripheral artery disease: relationship to extent of disease and platelet activation markers. Ann Med 2005; 37: 61–66.