1. Kesselheim AS, Mello MM, Studdert DM (2011) Strategies and practices in off-label marketing of pharmaceuticals: a retrospective analysis of whistleblower complaints. PLoS Med 8: e1000431. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1000431 21483716
2. Gøtzsche PC (2012) Big pharma often commits corporate crime, and this must be stopped. BMJ 345:e8462. doi: 10.1136/bmj.e8462 23241451
3. Davis C, Abraham J (2013) Is there a cure for corporate crime in the drug industry. BMJ 346:f755. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f755 23390241
4. Osborn JE (2010) Can I tell you the truth? A comparative perspective on regulating off-label scientific and medical information. Yale J Health Policy Law Ethics 10: 299–356. 20681438
5. Comité de Déontovigilance des Entreprises du Médicament (Codeem) (2013) Self-regulation: ethics surveillance and monitoring systems in the pharmaceutical industry in Europe. Available: http://www.leem.org/sites/default/files/Rapport%20syst%C3%A8me%20de%20veille%20d%C3%A9ontologique%20%2B%20annexes.pdf. Accessed 4 August 2014.
6. Lynch R, Kupiec R (2005) Worldwide survey on national controls of pharmaceutical advertising and promotion. Regulatory Rapporteur 2: 7–10.
7. Lexchin J (2012) Models for financing the regulation of pharmaceutical promotion. Global Health 8: 24. doi: 10.1186/1744-8603-8-24 22784944
8. Francer J, Izquierdo JZ, Music T, Narsai K, Nikidis C, et al. (2014) Ethical pharmaceutical promotion and communications worldwide: codes and regulations. Philos Ethics Humanit Med 9:7. doi: 10.1186/1747-5341-9-7 24679064
9. Korenstein D, Keyhani S, Mendelson A, Ross JS (2011) Adherence of pharmaceutical advertisements in medical journals to FDA guidelines and content for safe prescribing. PLoS ONE 6: e23336. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0023336 21858076
10. European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (2008) EFPIA contribution to the European Commission public consultation on a legal proposal on information to patients. Brussels: EFPIA. 13 p. 25506952
11. Medical Products Agency (2009) Tre av fyra granskade reklamärenden i strid med läkemedelslagen. Information från Läkemedelsverket 20: 6. doi: 10.1083/jcb.201410042 25601405
12. Elizabeth S (2013) UK regulator is to take lighter approach to drug advertisements. BMJ 346: f1396. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f1396 23457238
13. Doran E, Löfgren H (2013) Drug promotion in Australia: policy contestation and the tightening of regulation. Australian Review of Public Affairs 11: 19–41.
14. Swedish Association of the Pharmaceutical Industry (LIF) (2014) Ethical rules for the pharmaceutical industry in Sweden. Avaialble: http://www.lif.se/default.aspx?id=24553&ptid=0. Accessed 4 August 2014.
15. Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry (ABPI) (2014) Code of Practice for the pharmaceutical industry. Available: http://www.pmcpa.org.uk/thecode/InteractiveCode2014/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed 4 August 2014.
16. European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations (EFPIA) (2013) EFPIA code on the promotion of prescription-only medicines to, and interaction with, healthcare professionals. Available: http://www.efpia.eu/uploads/documents/efpia-hcp-code.pdf. Accessed 4 August 2014.
17. International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers & Associations (IFPMA) (2012) IFPMA Code of Practice. Available: http://www.ifpma.org/ethics/ifpma-code-of-practice/ifpma-code-of-practice.html. Accessed 4 August 2014.
18. Herxheimer A, Collier J (1990) Promotion by the British pharmaceutical industry, 1983–8: a critical analysis of self regulation. BMJ 300: 307–311. 2106963
19. Lexchin J (1997) Enforcement of codes governing pharmaceutical promotion: What happens when companies breach advertising guidelines? CMAJ 156: 351–356. 9033415
20. Zetterqvist AV, Mulinari S (2013) Misleading advertising for antidepressants in Sweden: a failure of pharmaceutical industry self-regulation. PLoS ONE 8:e62609. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0062609 23650519
21. Devlin E, Hastings G, Smith A, McDermott L, Noble G (2007) Pharmaceutical marketing: a question of regulation. J Publ Aff 7: 135–147.
22. Davis C, Abraham J (2011) A comparative analysis of risk management strategies in European Union and United States pharmaceutical regulation. Health Risk Soc 13: 413–431.
23. Graneheim UH, Lundman B (2004) Qualitative content analysis in nursing research: concepts, procedures and measures to achieve trustworthiness. Nurse Educ Today 24:105–112. 14769454
24. Hawe E, Cockcroft L (2013) OHE Guide to UK health and health care statistics. London: Office of Health Economics. 181 pp. doi: 10.1007/s13197-013-0993-z 25598746
25. Health and Social Care Information Centre (2013) Hospital prescribing: England 2012. Available: http://www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB12651/hosp-pres-eng-2012-rep.pdf. Accessed 4 August 2014.
26. Apoteket Service AB (2013) Läkemedelsförsäljningen i Sverige 2012. Available: http://www.ehalsomyndigheten.se/Documents/statistik/lakemedelsforsaljning_sverige_2012.pdf. Accessed 4 August 2014.
27. The Swedish Riksbank (2014) Annual average exchange rates. Available: http://www.riksbank.se/sv/Rantor-och-valutakurser/Arsgenomsnitt-valutakurser/?y=1993&m=2&s=Comma. Accessed 4 August 2014.
28. Bank of England (2014) Statistical Interactive Database-daily spot exchange rates against Euro. Available: http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/boeapps/iadb/Rates.asp?into=EUR. Accessed 4 August 2014.
29. IMS Health (2012) Top 20 global corporations 2012. Available: http://www.imshealth.com/deployedfiles/ims/Global/Content/Corporate/Press%20Room/Top-Line%20Market%20Data%20&%20Trends/Top_20_Global_Corporations_2012.pdf. Accessed 23 September 2014.
30. Medical Products Agency (2001) Marknadsföring av läkemedel 2000. Information från Läkemedelsverket 3: 5–6.
31. Kornfield R, Donohue J, Berndt ER, Alexander GC (2013) Promotion of prescription drugs to consumers and providers, 2001–2010. PLoS ONE 8: e55504. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0055504 23469165
32. IMS Health (2012) Total US promotional spend by type, 2011. Available: http://www.imshealth.com/deployedfiles/ims/Global/Content/Corporate/Press%20Room/Top-Line%20Market%20Data%20&%20Trends/2011%20Top-line%20Market%20Data/Promo_Spend_By_Type.pdf. Accessed 23 September 2014.
33. Mintzes B, Lexchin J, Sutherland JM, Beaulieu MD, Wilkes MS, et al. (2013) Pharmaceutical sales representatives and patient safety: a comparative prospective study of information quality in Canada, France and the United States. J Gen Intern Med 28: 1368–1375. doi: 10.1007/s11606-013-2411-7 23558775
34. Ziegler MG, Lew P, Singer BC (1995) The accuracy of drug information from pharmaceutical sales representatives. JAMA 273:1296–12988. 7715044
35. Lexchin J (2003) Voluntary self-regulatory codes: what should we expect? Am J Bioeth 3: 49–50. 14744333
36. Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) (2005) Memorandum of understanding between the ABPI, the PMCPA and the MHRA. Available: http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/pl-a/documents/websiteresources/con2022582.pdf. Accessed 4 August 2014.
37. Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) (2014) Advertising of medicines. Available: http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Howweregulate/Medicines/Advertisingofmedicines/ Accessed 23 September 2014.
38. Spurling GK, Mansfield PR, Montgomery BD, Lexchin J, Doust J, et al. (2010) Information from pharmaceutical companies and the quality, quantity, and cost of physicians’ prescribing: A systematic review. PLoS Med 7: e1000352. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1000352 20976098
39. Anonymous (2013) When true enough is not good enough. Nat Med 19: 1. doi: 10.1038/nm.3061 23295988
40. Villanueva P, Peiró S, Librero J, Pereiró I (2003) Accuracy of pharmaceutical advertisements in medical journals. Lancet 361: 27–32. 12517463
41. van Winkelen P, van Denderen JS, Vossen CY, Huizinga TWJ, Dekker FW, et al. (2006) How evidence-based are advertisements in journals regarding the subspecialty of rheumatology? Rheumatology 45: 1154–1157. 16531437
42. Heimans L, Vlieg AV, Dekker FW (2010) Are claims of advertisements in medical journals supported by RCTs? Neth J Med 68: 46–49. 20103825
43. Othman N, Vitry AI, Roughead EE (2010) Quality of claims, references and the presentation of risk results in medical journal advertising: a comparative study in Australia, Malaysia and the United States. BMC Public Health 10:294. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-10-294 20509953
44. Lexchin J (2010) Statistics in drug advertising: what they reveal is suggestive what they hide is vital. Inter J Clin Pract 64:1015–1018.
45. Spielmans GI, Thielges SA, Dent AL, Greenberg RP (2008) The accuracy of psychiatric medication advertisements in medical journals. J Nerv Ment Dis 196: 267–273. doi: 10.1097/NMD.0b013e31816a436b 18414120
46. Lankinen KS, Levola T, Marttinen K, Puumalainen I, Helin-Salmivaara A (2004) Industry guidelines, laws and regulations ignored: quality of drug advertising in medical journals. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 13: 789–795. 15486957
47. Othman N, Vitry A, Roughead EE (2009) Quality of pharmaceutical advertisements in medical journals: a systematic review. PLoS ONE 4: e6350. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0006350 19623259
48. Zosia K (2011) Boehringer promoted off-label drug to patients, finds watchdog. BMJ 343: d8251. doi: 10.1136/bmj.d8251 22188945
49. Mulinari S (2013) Regulating drug information in Europe: a pyrrhic victory for countervailing forces? Sociol Health Illn 35: 761–777. doi: 10.1111/j.1467-9566.2012.01528.x 23094890
50. Ager B (2007) Direct-to-consumer drug information in Europe. Lancet 369: 822–822. 17350444
51. Gagnon MA, Lexchin J (2008) The cost of pushing pills: a new estimate of pharmaceutical promotion expenditures in the United States. PLoS Med 5: e1. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.0050001 18177202
52. WHO (2014) Pharmaceutical industry. Available: http://www.who.int/trade/glossary/story073/en/. Accessed 4 August 2014.
53. The United States Department of Justice (2012) Justice Department recovers nearly $5 billion in false claims act cases in fiscal year 2012. http://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/justice-department-recovers-nearly-5-billion-false-claims-act-cases-fiscal-year-2012. Acessed 31 October 2014.
54. IMS Health (2013) Top companies by non-discounted spending (U.S.) http://www.imshealth.com/deployedfiles/imshealth/Global/Content/Corporate/Press%20Room/2012_U.S/Top_Therapeutic_Classes_by_Non-Discounted_Spending.U.S.pdf. Acessed 31 October 2014.
55. Stossel TP, Stell LK (2011) Time to ‘walk the walk’ about industry ties to enhance health. Nat Med 17: 437–438. doi: 10.1038/nm0411-437 21475240
56. Kesselheim AS, Darby D, Studdert DM, Glynn R, Levin R, et al. (2011) False Claims Act prosecution did not deter off-label drug use in the case of Neurontin. Health Aff 30: 2318–2327. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2011.0370 22147859
57. Matthews S (2013) Pharma fines increase, but the pain is not felt on Wall Street. Nat Med 19: 5. doi: 10.1038/nm0113-5 23295992
58. Prescription Medicines Code of Practice Authority (PMCPA) (2013) Annual report 2012. Available: http://www.pmcpa.org.uk/aboutus/Documents/Annual%20reports/PMCPA%20Annual%20Report%202012%20final.pdf. Accessed 4 August 2014.
59. Prescription Medicines Code of Practice Authority (PMCPA) (2014) Advertisements and public reprimands. Available: http://www.pmcpa.org.uk/cases/Pages/Advertisements-and-public-reprimands.aspx. Accessed 4 August 2014.
60. Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA): Advertising Standards Unit (2012) Delivering high standards in medicines advertising regulation—Annual Report 2012. Available: http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/comms-ic/documents/websiteresources/con239450.pdf. Accessed 4 August 2014.
61. House of Commons Health Committee (2005) The Influence of the pharmaceutical industry: Health Select Committee Report Volume 2. London: The stationery office limited. 550 p. doi: 10.1016/j.plrev.2005.01.001 20416858
62. Dukes MNG, Braithwaite J, Moloney JP (2014) Pharmaceuticals, corporate crime and public health. Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar Publishing. 408 p. doi: 10.1097/OPX.0000000000000387 25603554
63. Goldacre B (2012) Bad pharma: how drug companies mislead doctors and harm patients. London: Fourth Estate. 448 pp. doi: 10.1016/j.asjsur.2012.06.010 25554668
64. Stamatakis E, Weiler R, Ioannidis JP (2013) Undue industry influences that distort healthcare research, strategy, expenditure and practice: a review. Euro J Clin Invest 43:469–475. doi: 10.1111/eci.12074 23521369
65. Gale EA (2012) Post-marketing studies of new insulins: sales or science? BMJ 344: e3974. doi: 10.1136/bmj.e3974 22692652
66. Doshi P, Jefferson T, Del Mar C (2012) The imperative to share clinical study reports: recommendations from the Tamiflu experience. PLoS Med 9: e1001201. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1001201 22505850
67. Formoso G, Marata AM, Magrini N, Bero L (2014) A clearer view of evidence in treating macular degeneration: off-label policies and independent research. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 9: ED000090. doi: 10.1002/14651858.ED000091 25313419
68. Italian Medicines Agency (AIFA) Research & Development Working Group (2010) Feasibility and challenges of independent research on drugs: the Italian medicines agency (AIFA) experience. Euro J Clin Invest 40: 69–86. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2362.2009.02226.x 20055898
69. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) (2014) Health at a glance: Europe 2012—Pharmaceutical expenditure. Available: http://www.oecd-ilibrary.org/sites/9789264183896-en/05/05/index.html?itemId=/content/chapter/9789264183896-55-en. Accessed 4 August 2014.