1. LimS, VosT, FlaxmanA, DanaeiG, ShibuyaK, et al. (2012) A comparative risk assessment of the burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380: 2224–2260.
2. World Health Organization (2010) Global strategy to reduce the harmful use of alcohol. Geneva: World Health Organization.
3. CzechS, ShakeshaftA, BreenC, Sanson-FisherR (2010) Whole-of-community approaches to reducing alcohol-related harm: what do communities think? J Public Health 18: 543–551.
4. PerryC, WilliamsC, Veblen-MortensonS, ToomeyT, KomroK, et al. (1996) Project Northland: outcomes of a community wide alcohol use prevention program during early adolescence. Am J Public Health 86: 956–965.
5. KomroK, PerryC, Veblen-MortensonS, FarbakhshK, ToomeyT, et al. (2008) Outcomes from a randomized controlled trial of a multi-component alcohol use preventive intervention for urban youth: Project Northland Chicago. Addiction 103: 606–618.
6. SchinkeS, TepavacL, ColeKC (2000) Preventing substance use among Native American youth: three-year results. Addict Behav 25: 387–397.
7. WagenaarA, MurrayD, GehanJ, WolfsonM, ForsterJ, et al. (2000) Communities mobilizing for change on alcohol: outcomes from a randomised community trial. J Stud Alcohol 61: 85–94.
8. WolfsonM, ChampionH, McCoyT, RhodesS, IpE, et al. (2012) Impact of a randomized campus/community trial to prevent high-risk drinking among college students. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 36: 1767–1778.
9. SaltzR, PaschallM, McGaffiganR, NygaardP (2010) Alcohol risk management in college settings: the Safer California Universities Randomized Trial. Am J Prev Med 39: 491–499.
10. Shakeshaft A, Doran C, Petrie D, Breen C, Havard A, et al.. (2012) Alcohol Action in Rural Communities (AARC) project: detailed description of the interventions and their costs. Monograph No. 64. Sydney: National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre.
11. Shakeshaft A, Doran C, Petrie D, Breen C, Havard A, et al.. (2012) The Alcohol Action in Rural Communities (AARC) Project. Deakin (Australia): Foundation for Alcohol Research and Education. Available: http://www.fare.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/FARE-AARC-Report-LR.pdf. Accessed 18 September 2013.
12. Australian Bureau of Statistics (2013) Data & analysis [2001 census data] [database]. Available: http://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/censushome.nsf/home/data?opendocument&navpos=200. Accessed 12 February 2014.
13. JuddF, JacksonH, KomitiA, MurrayG, HodginsG, et al. (2002) High prevalence disorders in urban and rural communities. Aust N Z J Psychiatry 36: 104–113.
14. NavarroH, ShakeshaftA, DoranC, PetrieD (2012) The cost-effectiveness of tailored, postal feedback on general practitioners' prescribing of pharmacotherapies for alcohol dependence. Drug Alcohol Depend 124: 207–215.
15. PetrieD, DoranC, ShakeshaftA, Sanson-FisherR (2008) The relationship between alcohol consumption and self-reported health status using the EQ5D: evidence from rural Australia. Soc Sci Med 67: 1717–1726.
16. PetrieD, DoranC, ShakeshaftA (2011) Willingness to pay to reduce alcohol-related harm in Australian rural communities. Expert Rev Pharmacoecon Outcomes Res 11: 351–363.
17. PetrieD, DoranC, ShakeshaftA, Sanson-FisherR (2010) The relationship between risky alcohol consumption, crime and traffic accidents in rural Australia. Addict Behav 35: 359–362.
18. BreenCL, ShakeshaftAP, DoranCM, Sanson-FisherRW, MattickRP (2010) Cost-effectiveness of follow-up contact for a postal survey: a randomised controlled trial. Aust N Z J Public Health 34: 508–512.
19. BreenC, ShakeshaftA, SladeT, LoveS, D'EsteC, et al. (2011) Do community characteristics predict alcohol-related crime? Alcohol Alcohol 46: 464–470.
20. NavarroH, ShakeshaftA, DoranC, Sanson-FisherR (2011) The cost-effectiveness of GP screening and brief intervention. Addict Behav 36: 1191–1198.
21. ShakeshaftA, PetrieD, DoranC, BreenC, Sanson-FisherR (2012) An empirical approach to selecting community-based alcohol interventions: combining research evidence, community views and professional opinion. BMC Public Health 12: 25.
22. HavardA, ShakeshaftA, ConigraveK (2012) The prevalence and characteristics of patients with risky alcohol consumption presenting to emergency departments in rural Australia. Emerg Med Australas 24: 266–276.
23. HolderH, GruenewaldP, PonickieW, TrenoA, GrubeJ, et al. (2000) Effect of community-based interventions on high risk drinking and alcohol-related injuries. JAMA 284: 2341–2347.
24. CalabriaB, DoranC, VosT, ShakeshaftA, HallW (2010) Epidemiology of alcohol related burden of disease among Indigenous Australians. Aust N Z J Public Health 34: S47–S51.
25. CzechS, ShakeshaftA, Sanson-FisherR, BreenC (2011) The development and application of a proxy measure of alcohol-related traffic crashes for rural communities. Accid Anal Prev 43: 2160–2165.
26. LivingstonM, RoomR (2009) Variations by age and sex in alcohol-related problematic behaviour per drinking volume and heavier drinking occasion. Drug Alcohol Depend 101: 169–175.
27. SelinK (2003) Test-retest reliability of the Alcohol Use Disorder Identification Test in a general population sample. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 27: 1428–1435.
28. CliffordA, ShakeshaftA, DeansC (2013) Training and tailored outreach support to improve alcohol screening and brief intervention in Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Services. Drug Alcohol Rev 32: 72–79.
29. Navarro H, Shakeshaft A, Doran C, Petrie D (2014) A multi-strategy community approach to reduce alcohol-related violent crime incidents: a cost-benefit analysis. Int J Env Res Public Health. In press.
30. HavardA, ShakeshaftA, ConigraveK, DoranC (2012) Randomised controlled trial of mailed personalised feedback for problem drinkers in the emergency department: the short-term impact. Alcohol Clin Exp Res 36: 523–531.
31. Australian Department of Health and Ageing (2001) Measuring remoteness: Accessibility/Remoteness Index for Australia (ARIA). Available: http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/health-historicpubs-hfsocc-ocpanew14a.htm. Accessed 12 February 2014.
32. Australian Bureau of Statistics (2004) Census of population and housing: Socio-Economic Indexes for Areas (SEIFA), Australia. 2039.0.55.001. Canberra: Australian Bureau of Statistics.
33. New South Wales Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing (2004) Index of New South Wales licensed premises and registered clubs 2004. Sydney: New South Wales Government.
34. ShakeshaftA, BowmanJ, Sanson-FisherR (2002) Community-based drug and alcohol counselling: who attends and why? Drug Alcohol Rev 21: 153–162.
35. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2005) 2004 National Drug Strategy Household Survey: detailed findings. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.
36. Women's Health Australia (2014) Australian Longitudinal Study on Women's Health: about the study. Available: http://www.alswh.org.au/about/about-the-study. Accessed 12 February 2014.
37. BreenC, ShakeshaftA, SladeT, D'EsteC, MattickRP (2011) Assessing reliability of measures using routinely collected data. Alcohol Alcohol 46: 501–502.
38. Begg S, Vos T, Barker B, Stevenson C, Stanley L, et al.. (2007) The burden of disease and injury in Australia, 2003. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.
39. World Health Organization (2000) International guide for monitoring alcohol consumption and related harm. Geneva: World Health Organization.
40. Ridolfo B, Stevenson C (2001) The quantification of drug-caused mortality and morbidity in Australia, 1998. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.
41. National Health and Medical Research Council (2001) Australian alcohol guidelines: health risks and benefits. Canberra: Commonwealth of Australia.
42. SaundersJ, AaslandO, BaborT, De La FuenteJ, GrantM (1993) Development of the Alcohol Use Disorders Test (AUDIT): WHO collaborative project on the early detection of persons with harmful alcohol consumption II. Addiction 88: 791–804.
43. FawcettJ, ShakeshaftA, HarrisM, WodakA, MattickR, et al. (2004) Using AUDIT to classify patients into Australian Alcohol Guideline categories. Med J Aust 180: 598.
44. DonnerA, TaljaardM, KlarN (2006) The merits of breaking the matches: a cautionary tale. Stat Med 26: 2036–2051.
45. ManclL, DeRouenTA (2001) A covariance estimator for GEE with improved small-sample properties. Biometrics 57: 126–134.
46. Rose G (2004) The strategy of preventive medicine. Oxford: Oxford Medical Publications.
47. CzechS, ShakeshaftA, ByrnesJ, DoranC (2010) Comparing the cost of alcohol-related traffic crashes in rural and urban environments. Accid Anal Prev 42: 1195–1198.
48. CobaicL, VosT, DoranC, WallaceA (2009) Cost-effectiveness of interventions to prevent alcohol-related disease and injury in Australia. Addiction 104: 1646–1655.
49. LudbrookA, PetrieD, McKenzieL, FarrarS (2012) Tackling alcohol misuse: purchasing patterns affected by minimum pricing for alcohol. Appl Health Econ Health Policy 10: 51–63 doi:10.2165/11594840-000000000-00000
50. HallW, WallaceA, CobaicL, DoranC, VosT (2010) How can we reduce alcohol-related road crash deaths among young Australians? Med J Aust 192: 464–466.