1. De Bree, R., E. E. Deurloo, G. B. Snow, and C. R. Leemans. 2000. Screening for distant metastases in patients with head and neck cancer. Laryngoscope 110:397–401.
2. Dennington, M. L., D. R. Carter, and A. D. Meyers. 1980. Distant metastases in head and neck epidermoid carcinoma. Laryngoscope 90:196–201.
3. Black, R. J., J. L. Gluckman, and D. A. Shumrick. 1984. Screening for distant metastases in head and neck cancer patients. Aust. N. Z. J. Surg. 54:527–530.
4. Cooper, J. S., K. Porter, K. Mallin, and H. T. Hoffman. 2009. National Cancer Database report on cancer of the head and neck: 10-year update. Head Neck 31:748–758.
5. Ferlito, A., A. R. Shaha, C. E. Silver, A. Rinaldo, and V. Mondin. 2001. Incidence and sites of distant metastases from head and neck cancer. ORL J. Otorhinolaryngol. Relat. Spec. 63:202–207.
6. Kotwall, C., K. Sako, M. S. Razack, U. Rao, V. Bakamjian, and D. P. Shedd. 1987. Metastatic patterns in squamous cell cancer of the head and neck. Am. J. Surg. 154:439–442.
7. Colevas, A. D. 2006. Chemotherapy options for patients with metastatic or recurrent squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. J. Clin. Oncol. 24:2644–2652.
8. Zhen, W., L. H. Karnell, H. T. Hoffman, G. F. Funk, J. M. Buatti, and H. R. Menck. 2004. The National Cancer Data Base report on squamous cell carcinoma of the base of tongue. Head Neck 26:660–674.
9. Pfister, D. G., et al. 2015. NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®) Head and Neck Cancers Version 1.2015. National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc. Available at www.NCCN.org (accessed 10 May 2015).
10. Florescu, C., and J. Thariat. 2014. Local ablative treatments of oligometastases from head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Crit. Rev. Oncol. Hematol. 91:47–63.
11. Sinha, P., W. T. Thorstad, B. Nussenbaum, et al. 2014. Distant metastasis in p16-positive oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: a critical analysis of patterns and outcomes. Oral Oncol. 50:45–51.
12. American College of Surgeons. National Cancer Data Base. Available at https://www.facs.org/quality%20programs/cancer/ncdb (accessed June 29, 2014).
13. Commission on Cancer. Facility Oncology Registry Data Standards (FORDS). Available at https://www.facs.org/~/media/files/quality%20programs/cancer/coc/fords/fords%20manual%202013.ashx (accessed July 1, 2014).
14. Fritz, A., C. Percy, A. Jack, et al. 2000. International classification of diseases for oncology, ICD-O, 3rd edn. World Health Organization, Geneva.
15. Greene, F. L., D. L. Page, I. D. Fleming, et al. 2002. AJCC cancer staging manual, 6th ed. Springer, New York, NY.
16. American College of Surgeons. National Cancer Data Base data dictionary. Available at http://ncdbpuf.facs.org/?q=print-pdf-all (accessed June 13, 2014).
17. United States Census Bureau. Census Regions and Divisions of the United States. Available at www.census.gov/geo/maps-data/maps/pdfs/reference/us_regdiv.pdf (accessed June 29, 2014).
18. Rural-Urban Continuum Codes. United States Department of Agriculture Economic Research Service. Available at http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-urban-continuum-codes (accessed March 14, 2015).
19. Luryi, A. L., M. M. Chen, S. Mehra, S. A. Roman, J. A. Sosa and B. L. Judson. 2015. Hospital re-admission and 30-day mortality following surgery for oral cavity cancer: analysis of 21,681 cases. Head Neck. doi: 10.1002/hed.23973
20. Deyo, R. A., D. C. Cherkin, and M. A. Ciol. 1992. Adapting a clinical comorbidity index for use with ICD-9-CM administrative databases. J. Clin. Epidemiol. 45:613–619.
21. Charlson, Me, P. Pompei, K. L. Ales, and C. R. MacKenzie. 1987. A new method of classifying prognostic comorbidity in longitudinal studies: development and validation. J. Chron. Dis. 40:373–383.
22. Argiris, A., S. Li, M. Ghebremichael, et al. 2014. Prognostic significant of human papillomavirus in recurrent or metastatic head and neck cancer: an analysis of Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group trials. Ann. Oncol. 25:1410–1416
23. Vermorken, J. B., A. Psyrri, R. Mesía, et al. 2014. Impact of tumor HPV status on outcome in patients with recurrent and/or metastatic squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck receiving chemotherapy with or without cetuximab: retrospective analysis of the phase III EXTREME trial. Ann. Oncol. 25:801–807.
24. Rischin, D., R. J. Young, R. Fisher, et al. 2010. Prognostic significance of p16INK4A and human papillomavirus in patients with oropharyngeal cancer treated on TROG 02.02 phase III trial. J. Clin. Oncol. 28:4142–4148.
25. Sateren, W. B., E. L. Trimble, J. Abrams, et al. 2002. How sociodemographics, presence of oncology specialists, and hospital cancer programs affect accrual to cancer treatment trials. J. Clin. Oncol. 20:2109–2117.
26. Lara, P. N., R. Higdon, N. Lim, et al. 2001. Prospective evaluation of cancer clinical trial accrual patterns: identifying potential barriers to enrollment. J. Clin. Oncol. 19:1728–1733.
27. Murthy, V. H., H. M. Krumholz, and C. P. Gross. 2004. Participation in cancer clinical trials: race-, sex-, and age-based disparities. JAMA 291:2720–2726.
28. Llewellyn-Thomas, H. A., M. K. McGreal, E. C. Thiel, S. Fine, and C. Erlichman. 1991. Patients' willingness to enter clinical trials: measuring the association with perceived benefit and preference for decision participation. Soc. Sci. Med. 32:35–42.
29. Goldstein, N. E., E. Genden, and R. S. Morrison. 2008. Palliative care for patients with head and neck cancer: “I would like a quick return to a normal lifestyle”. JAMA 299:1818–1825.
30. Temel, J. S., J. A. Greer, A. Muzikansky, et al. 2010. Early palliative care for patients with metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. N. Engl. J. Med. 363:733–742.
31. Pirl, W. F., J. A. Greer, L. Traeger, et al. 2012. Depression and survival in metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer: effects of early palliative care. J. Clin. Oncol. 30:1310–1315.
32. de Graeff, A., J. R. de Leeuw, W. J. Ros, G. J. Hordijk, G. H. Blijham, and J. A. Winnubst. 2000. Pretreatment factors predicting quality of life after treatment for head and neck cancer. Head Neck 22:398–407.
33. Gritz, E. R., C. L. Carmack, C. de Moor, et al. 1999. First year after head and neck cancer: quality of life. J. Clin. Oncol. 17:352–360.
34. Langendijk, J. A., P. Doornaert, I. W. Verdonck-de Leeuw, C. R. Leemans, N. K. Aaronson, B. J. Slotman. 2008. Impact of late treatment-related toxicity on quality of life among patients with head and neck cancer treated with radiotherapy. J. Clin. Oncol. 26:3770–3776.
35. Funk, G. F., L. H. Karnell, and A. J. Christensen. 2012. Long-term health-related quality of life in survivors of head and neck cancer. Arch. Otolaryngol. Head Neck Surg. 138:123–133.
36. Sciubba, J. J. 2009. End of life considerations in the head and neck cancer patient. Oral Oncol. 45:431–434.
37. Morrison, S. R., and D. E. Meier. 2004. Palliative care. N. Engl. J. Med. 350:2582–2590.
38. Field, M. J., and C. K. Cassel, eds. 1997. Approaching death: improving care at the end of life. National Academy Press, Washington, DC.
39. Calhoun, K. H., P. Fulmer, R. Weiss, and J. A. Hokanson. 1994. Distant metastases from head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Laryngoscope 104:1199–1205.