1. West J: Endodontic update 2006. J Esthet Restor Dent 2006, 18:280–300.
2. Zhang W, Yelick PC: Vital pulp therapy-current progress of dental pulp regeneration and revascularization. Int J Dent 2010, 2010:856087.
3. Randow K, Glantz PO: On cantilever loading of vital and non-vital teeth. An experimental clinical study. Acta Odontol Scand 1986, 44:271–277.
4. Tziafas D: The future role of a molecular approach to pulp-dentinal regeneration. Caries Res 2004, 38:314–320.
5. Murray PE, Garcia-Godoy F, Hargreaves KM: Regenerative endodontics: a review of current status and a call for action. J Endod 2007, 33:377–390.
6. Malhotra N, Mala K: Regenerative endodontics as a tissue engineering approach: past, current and future. Aust Endod J 2012, 38:137–148.
7. Nakashima M, Akamine A: The application of tissue engineering to regeneration of pulp and dentin in endodontics. J Endod 2005, 31:711–718.
8. Sloan AJ, Waddington RJ: Dental pulp stem cells: what, where, how? Int J Paediatr Dent 2009, 19:61–70.
9. Nakashima M, Iohara K: Regeneration of dental pulp by stem cells. Adv Dent Res 2011, 23:313–319.
10. Prescott RS, Alsanea R, Fayad MI, Johnson BR, Wenckus CS, Hao J, John AS, George A: In vivo generation of dental pulp-like tissue by using dental pulp stem cells, a collagen scaffold, and dentin matrix protein 1 after subcutaneous transplantation in mice. J Endod 2008, 34:421–426.
11. Galler KM, D'Souza RN, Hartgerink JD, Schmalz G: Scaffolds for dental pulp tissue engineering. Adv Dent Res 2011, 23:333–339.
12. Shao MY, Fu ZS, Cheng R, Yang H, Cheng L, Wang FM, Hu T: The presence of open dentinal tubules affects the biological properties of dental pulp cells ex vivo. Mol Cells 2011, 31:65–71.
13. Schmalz G, Schuster U, Thonemann B, Barth M, Esterbauer S: Dentin barrier test with transfected bovine pulp-derived cells. J Endod 2001, 27:96–102.
14. Huang GT, Shagramanova K, Chan SW: Formation of odontoblast-like cells from cultured human dental pulp cells on dentin in vitro. J Endod 2006, 32:1066–1073.
15. Magloire H, Romeas A, Melin M, Couble ML, Bleicher F, Farges JC: Molecular regulation of odontoblast activity under dentin injury. Adv Dent Res 2001, 15:46–50.
16. Langenbach F, Berr K, Naujoks C, Hassel A, Hentschel M, Depprich R, Kubler NR, Meyer U, Wiesmann HP, Kogler G, Handschel J: Generation and differentiation of microtissues from multipotent precursor cells for use in tissue engineering. Nat Protoc 2011, 6:1726–1735.
17. Zhang L, Su P, Xu C, Yang J, Yu W, Huang D: Chondrogenic differentiation of human mesenchymal stem cells: a comparison between micromass and pellet culture systems. Biotechnol Lett 2010, 32:1339–1346.
18. Neunzehn J, Heinemann S, Wiesmann H: 3-D osteoblast culture for biomaterials testing. J Dev Biol Tissue Eng 2013, 5(1):7–12.
19. Handschel J, Naujoks C, Depprich R, Lammers L, Kubler N, Meyer U, Wiesmann HP: Embryonic stem cells in scaffold-free three-dimensional cell culture: osteogenic differentiation and bone generation. Head Face Med 2011, 7:12.
20. Handschel JG, Depprich RA, Kubler NR, Wiesmann HP, Ommerborn M, Meyer U: Prospects of micromass culture technology in tissue engineering. Head Face Med 2007, 3:4.
21. Langenbach F, Naujoks C, Smeets R, Berr K, Depprich R, Kubler N, Handschel
J: Scaffold-free microtissues: differences from monolayer cultures and their potential in bone tissue engineering. Clin Oral Investig 2013, 17:9–17.
22. Bakopoulou A, Leyhausen G, Volk J, Tsiftsoglou A, Garefis P, Koidis P, Geurtsen W: Comparative analysis of in vitro osteo/odontogenic differentiation potential of human dental pulp stem cells (DPSCs) and stem cells from the apical papilla (SCAP). Arch Oral Biol 2011, 56:709–721.
23. Xiao L, Tsutsui T: Characterization of human dental pulp cells-derived spheroids in serum-free medium: stem cells in the core. J Cell Biochem 2013, 114:2624–2636.
24. Xiao L, Tsutsui T: Characterization of human dental pulp cells-derived spheroids in serum-free medium: stem cell distribution, molecular profiles and neuronal/osteogenic potency. J Cell Biochem 2013, 144:2624–2636.
25. About I, Bottero MJ, de Denato P, Camps J, Franquin JC, Mitsiadis TA: Human dentin production in vitro. Exp Cell Res 2000, 258:33–41.
26. Tsukamoto Y, Fukutani S, Shin-Ike T, Kubota T, Sato S, Suzuki Y, Mori M: Mineralized nodule formation by cultures of human dental pulp-derived fibroblasts. Arch Oral Biol 1992, 37:1045–1055.
27. Kodonas K, Gogos C, Papadimitriou S, Kouzi-Koliakou K, Tziafas D: Experimental formation of dentin-like structure in the root canal implant model using cryopreserved swine dental pulp progenitor cells. J Endod 2012, 38:913–919.
28. Gronthos S, Brahim J, Li W, Fisher LW, Cherman N, Boyde A, DenBesten P, Robey PG, Shi S: Stem cell properties of human dental pulp stem cells. J Dent Res 2002, 81:531–535.
29. El-Backly RM, Massoud AG, El-Badry AM, Sherif RA, Marei MK: Regeneration of dentine/pulp-like tissue using a dental pulp stem cell/poly(lactic-coglycolic) acid scaffold construct in New Zealand white rabbits. Aust Endod J 2008, 34:52–67.
30. Young CS, Terada S, Vacanti JP, Honda M, Bartlett JD, Yelick PC: Tissue engineering of complex tooth structures on biodegradable polymer scaffolds. J Dent Res 2002, 81:695–700.
31. Kale S, Biermann S, Edwards C, Tarnowski C, Morris M, Long MW: Threedimensional cellular development is essential for ex vivo formation of human bone. Nat Biotechnol 2000, 18:954–958.
32. Wegehaupt F, Gries D, Wiegand A, Attin T: Is bovine dentine an appropriate substitute for human dentine in erosion/abrasion tests? J Oral Rehabil 2008, 35:390–394.
33. Fonseca RB, Haiter-Neto F, Carlo HL, Soares CJ, Sinhoreti MA, Puppin-Rontani RM, Correr-Sobrinho L: Radiodensity and hardness of enamel and dentin of human and bovine teeth, varying bovine teeth age. Arch Oral Biol 2008, 53:1023–1029.
34. Camargo CH, Siviero M, Camargo SE, de Oliveira SH, Carvalho CA, Valera MC: Topographical, diametral, and quantitative analysis of dentin tubules in the root canals of human and bovine teeth. J Endod 2007, 33:422–426.
35. Schilke R, Lisson JA, Bauss O, Geurtsen W: Comparison of the number and diameter of dentinal tubules in human and bovine dentine by scanning electron microscopic investigation. Arch Oral Biol 2000, 45:355–361.
36. Hannig C, Becker K, Hausler N, Hoth-Hannig W, Attin T, Hannig M: Protective effect of the in situ pellicle on dentin erosion - an ex vivo pilot study. Arch Oral Biol 2007, 52:444–449.
37. Micheletti Cremasco M: Dental histology: study of aging processes in root dentine. Boll Soc Ital Biol Sper 1998, 74:19–28.
38. Vasiliadis L, Darling AI, Levers BG: The amount and distribution of sclerotic human root dentine. Arch Oral Biol 1983, 28:645–649.
39. Lammers L, Naujoks C, Berr K, Depprich R, Kubler N, Meyer U, Langenbach F, Luttenberg B, Kogler G, Wiesmann HP, Handschel J: Impact of DAG stimulation on mineral synthesis, mineral structure and osteogenic differentiation of human cord blood stem cells. Stem Cell Res 2012, 8:193–205.
40. Edwards PC, Mason JM: Gene-enhanced tissue engineering for dental hard tissue regeneration: (2) dentin-pulp and periodontal regeneration. Head Face Med 2006, 2:16.